Varsity Blues women’s hockey stalwarts Amanda Fawns, Brenley Jorgensen, and Karolina Urban are getting used to the idea that they’re graduating soon. “We talk about it everyday, [about] how we can’t believe it’s gone so fast. We’ll be there next year cheering [the team] on,” says Jorgensen.

The three players aren’t finished quite yet, and despite some trying times, they’ve had a very positive and successful year.

“There’s always challenges on a team,” admits Urban; this year the team had the added challenge of acclimatizing to a new coach, Olympian Vicky Sunohara. “I was excited to have an Olympian [as our] coach because she was such a good player that she had a lot to teach us,” said Jorgensen. “She’ll actually come on the ice and show us how to do specific moves or dangles. She’s so inspiring to watch on the ice, you can’t help but listen to her talk, especially with all her experience.”

Despite the players’ excitement, the new management took some getting used to. “It was a big change with the new coaching staff, so it’s been an adjustment, but in the last ten games we’ve started to do well,” explained Urban.

Sunohara seems just as enthusiastic about her players as they are about her. “I’ve only been with them since September… I’ve just been very impressed with the way they handle themselves and how much time and effort they put into the team,” she said. “I didn’t really know what to expect, but I was very happy.

“I met Karolina first, and she was directly involved, trying to get me established. The program [underwent] a big change by hiring a full-time hockey coach. The girls, I think, were very instrumental in the changeover. They did a good job of keeping the team going while I was going through growing pains.”

Sunohara was also impressed with the trio’s leadership skills. “What’s most important is leading by example, and they do a really good job of that with their work ethic in the gym and on the ice, which is really important for the younger players to see, and they do that very well.”

However, this year hasn’t been all about growing pains or adjustment. “They’re very respectful, very hardworking,” observes Sunohara. “It’s not just hockey. I think that as a new coach what I hope to do is develop the girls to be the best they can be on the ice and off the ice [to] help prepare them for life after university.

“I don’t have anything to worry about these guys. They’re so committed, very caring, which really transfers into the real world, so that won’t be a problem for them.”

It’s been a year of mixed results on the ice. “We had a rough start, but as we go into playoffs, we’re at a good spot. We’re almost at third place, and that’s our goal,” explained Jorgensen.

All three players have big plans for their post-Blues lives. Jorgensen intends to pursue a postgraduate certificate in human resources. Urban will be staying close to her school and sport: she hopes to undertake a master’s degree at U of T, “hopefully something to do with concussion studies.” As for Fawns, the plan is to “go to college to be a paramedic.”

[pullquote]“What’s most important is leading by example, and they do a really good job of that, with their work ethic in the gym and on the ice, which is really important for the younger players to see.”[/pullquote]

The girls have high hopes for the team once they’re gone. “With Vicky’s credentials alone, there will be a lot of girls that want to come play for her,” notes Jorgensen. “I think they’re going to be very successful. And we have two amazing goalies.”

The trio’s final year on the team has also been good for bonding. “We’re more of a team; more of us have a say, we’re more reliable, and we rely on each other,” observes Jorgensen. “It’s more of a team atmosphere — everyone’s there for each other.”

Fawns agrees. “More players are contributing … [and] the coaching staff are really positive and supportive of us.

“When we win, we win as a team, there’s no individual who wins for us.”

The camaraderie doesn’t end when the players step off the ice. “Managing your life as a student athlete is hard, but coming to the rink for a break is great — you see your best friends. That’s one of the things I’m going to miss, seeing them every day,” says Jorgensen.

It’s hard for the trio to highlight personal favourite moments of their time with the team — clearly they feel spoiled for choice.

“Last year our team was in the quarter finals, and we went into double overtime. We had a few injuries, and our team really pulled it together,” remembers Fawns. “We did end up losing, but it’s one of those experiences you’ll always remember: against a really good team, to go into double overtime and hold them off for that long. It showed character from a lot of individuals.”

Urban picked out some highlights of her own. “Overall? I’d have to say going to the OUA finals. This year I wouldn’t say there’s [been] one moment, but I [will] mention the York game,” she said. “It was the first time we felt like a team. Things were so positive, we had some luck, and things that we’d been practising were coming together really nice.”

Jorgensen agrees. “Our favourite moments as a [trio] would be that York game because it was just one of the things where, before the game, we were up in the air. If we wanted to keep going, we had to win.

“And without saying anything we all just did our jobs, we didn’t pay attention to refs, we just played. Our goalie had a great game, she communicated with us more than she ever had. It was like a breath of fresh air; everything was positive and successful.”

Jorgensen scored two goals in that game against York, earning her mbna Athlete of the Week honours for the Varsity Blues, as the team won 4–2.

The season isn’t over yet, though, and the team has high hopes as they enter the playoffs. “We’re going for third, that’s our goal,” says Jorgensen. “We’re kicking ass, we just keep going up and up and up. We’re coming together as a team. I think we’re going to be successful because of how we’ve been playing for the last ten games.”

The team’s positive attitude, along with their recent performance in games, suggests that these ladies will have no problem reaching their goal. But even if they don’t end the season victorious, Urban says having been on the team is reward enough.

“It’s been one of [my] best experiences… You learn so many life skills, and the friends you make will be friends for life.”