A document obtained by the Canadian Press news agency outlines some drastic recommendations that would radically alter teaching practices at post-secondary institutes across the province.

The report calls for a transition to online courses, moving a third of classes out of the lecture hall and onto the web. Under the plan, students would take three of five courses electronically.

The plan also encourages year-round teaching and an increase in summer programs, as well as the introduction of three-year degree programs.

The proposal, dubbed “3×3” aims to reduce university spending by 3 per cent yearly for three years.

Student lobbyists have objected to the recommendations of the report.

“How far behind are Ontario students going to be with the rest of the country, with the rest of the world, if most of the learning that we’re doing isn’t even in front of a lecturer that we can then approach for assistance?” said Canadian Federation of Students–Ontario chair Sandy Hudson in an interview with Canadian Press.

Another study released late last year by the Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario raised concerns about student anonymity in online teaching, especially among first-year students.

“A student’s sense of belonging and ability to connect with teaching staff and other students played an important part in fostering student engagement and better learning outcomes,” read the HEQC report.

It is unclear whether the provincial government intends to act on the report’s recommendations.

With files from CTV