Over the past decade, online learning and distance education have revolutionized university education in unexpected ways. In 2002, over 1.6 million postsecondary students were enrolled in an online course; by 2008, this number had tripled. Despite this overwhelming transition to the online realm, digital learning has failed to achieve universal acceptance. Instead, obstructive questions remain. Is traditional learning superior? To what extent should online tools be used in postsecondary education? A motion by the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering Faculty Council (FASE) to introduce four new e-courses in first-year Mechanics, Dynamics, Calculus I, and Calculus II in 2013 is both ambitious and controversial. At worst, the move is an unacceptable attenuation of the undergraduate learning experience.

The motion by FASE is not the first U of T online-learning initiative. There are many different models for e-learning; online lecture videos, hybrid courses consisting of both online and in-class instruction, non-credit courses, and online assignments are all classified under the broad umbrella of online education. U of T’s programs fall at different points on the spectrum of different models. At one end, Open UToronto has developed several open-access digital collections and free educational resources. Along with several other elite universities, U of T recently partnered with Coursera to pilot five open non-credit web-based courses. Most courses incorporate online assignments, homework, and lecture videos. At the other extreme of the spectrum, complete online credit options are limited to five courses: Introduction to Environmental Science, Geographic Info and Mapping I, Introduction to Human Neurobehavioural Biology, Introductory Psychology, and Foundations in Effective Academic Communication.

However, there are fundamental differences between the establishment of complete online classes for core science and math courses and the incorporation of e-learning into the existing curriculum. At first glance, the benefits of online courses are enticing. The ability of students to access course materials at convenient places and times, the ability to enrol in courses at other U of T campuses, the possibility of remaining a full-time student while satisfying family and work obligations, cost effectiveness, and the removal of time and classroom-space constraints are all undeniable advantages.

Nonetheless, there are also many disadvantages. A high level of self-motivation is required to succeed in an online course. The potential for fraud is high. Evaluation is almost entirely limited to one or two exams. A study published in the Journal of Interactive Online Learning revealed that 68 per cent of surveyed students strongly disliked the lack of community and limited face-to-face interaction in their online courses. Nearly 70 per cent of surveyed faculty members questioned the prestige of online credits. A comprehensive study of over 1000 empirical studies by the US Department of Education claimed that full online courses were inferior to traditional learning.

In the case of FASE’s motion, the idea of e-courses for first-years is also concerning. Every incoming student confronts the emotional challenge of adapting to a new system of learning in a stressful environment. How are students to judge whether their knowledge or learning style is suited to an online program? What resources will the university provide to students who are ill-prepared for the challenges of e-learning? The proposed 100 per cent final exam weight is an unjust and demanding feature poorly suited to incoming students. The VP Academic of the Engineering Society relayed student apprehension on the motion. “Students are concerned about course weighting, the lack of necessary in class experience, and comparisons between the in-class and online versions. Virtually no information has been offered on how the courses will be run.”

E-courses are not curriculum changes to be taken lightly. Classes must be carefully designed to incorporate community, timely feedback, and clear expectations — an ambitious challenge not well suited to math and science courses at U of T. Before suggesting such a strong motion, the faculty should examine all possible alternatives. For example, posting online lecture videos grants students learning flexibility, while preserving fair evaluation and face-to-face interaction in tutorials. Unsurprisingly, the best source for faculty research and alternative ideas is close by — students themselves.

Stephanie Gaglione is a TrackOne engineering student at U of T and is the first-year representative on the Engineering Society Board of Directors.