The 2013 OUA Swimming Championships kicked off in stunning fashion with impressive performances that saw eight records shattered — three of them by the Blues’ own Zack Chetrat.

At the end of the opening day of the three-day event, which will see thirteen teams battle it out at the Varsity Pool, the Blues’ men’s swimming team was in the lead and on track to capture its tenth straight Dougall Trophy with 308 points, while their female counterparts sat in second place with 250 points — only 50 points behind the four-time champion Western Mustangs.

Following the preliminary heats, the Varsity Blues entered the first day’s finals with 20 swimmers looking to make a splash.

And make a splash they did. When the first day of competition had wrapped up, the Varsity Blues’ men’s and women’s swimming teams broke five OUA records, earned eight gold medals, three second place finishes, and two bronze medals

The night ultimately belonged to fifth-year swimmer Chetrat. Named the 2011 Male Athlete of the Year after winning gold in the 100-metre butterfly, 200-metre butterfly, and 400-metre freestyle, Chetrat returned to the pool after a one-year hiatus. In the 400-metre freestyle, he broke teammate Frank Despond’s time of 3.48.63 with his 3.47.87 finish, before smashing his own record of 1.59.25 in the 200-metre butterfly time by clocking in at 1.56.34. It was the fourth time he has placed fourth in the OUA 200-metre butterfly. Finally, along with Frank Despond, David Riley, and Kent Kikot broke the 4×800 freestyle relay record with a time of 7.22.84.

Chetrat’s teammates also put in remarkable performances. Mike Smerak, named the University of Toronto’s 2012 Athlete of the Year, broke the 200-metre freestyle relay record with a time of 1:30.46 along with Luke Hall, Brian Lee, and George Soules.

Despond successfully defended his 2012 title in the 400-metre freestyle with a time of 3.49.95, 2012 Rookie of the Year Matt Myers’ 54.52 time was good enough for him to win gold in the 100m backstroke, Luke Hall swam a 22.98 to capture the 50-metre freestyle title, and a time of 1.59.34 saw Edward Liu win gold in the 200-metre fly.

A series of fantastic performances on the women’s side capped off a wonderful night for the Varsity Blues’ swimming teams.

Vanessa Treasure, named 2012 OUA Female Swimmer of the Year, swam a record 2.29.18 in the 200-metre breaststroke to break her 2011 time of 2.29.90. In the 800m freestyle relay, she, Esther Haines, Bridget Coley, and Jennifer Tapley finished second with a time of 8.15.08. She will look to defend her 200-metre individual medley and 100-metre breaststroke titles on Friday.

Andrea Jurneovskis, who is swimming for the last time as a Varsity Blue, captured the Grand Slam Award for her fourth OUA 100m backstroke gold with a time of 1.01.16. Having won eight OUA individual titles over the past four years, Jurenovskis added to her collection with a bronze in the 50m freestyle clocking in at 26.24.

OUA Female Rookie of the Year for 2012, Bridget Coley, finished atop the podium, winning gold in the 400-metre freestyle with a time of 4:11.56. She will look to defend her 800-metre freestyle crown Friday.

Elsewhere, the MacMaster women broke the 200-metre free relay record with a time of 1.45.15, Guelph’s Evan Van Moerkerke swam a 22.41 to crack the 50-metre freestyle record, and Western’s female 800 free relay team swam a record 8.13.06.

The OUA swimming championships are the first major competition before the CIS swimming championships, which are scheduled to take place in Calgary, Alberta.