The end of the academic year is upon us, marking the beginning of spring, final exams, and a slew of incoming student representatives taking the reigns of their respective student organizations.

BERNARDA GOSPIC/THE VARSITY

In the spirit of change for the upcoming year, I challenge all incoming student representatives to aspire for a new approach to campus politics. Common issues affecting students have been put on the back burner to the detriment of our respective membership. Issues around increasing voter turnout, expanding student services, improving campus life, and advocating for student interests are mutually shared, yet universally unresolved. There is no student society which excels at resolving these mutual concerns, nor does any one organization hold all the answers. It is the responsibility of all incoming elected representatives to resolve these mutual concerns by working together.

I challenge student representatives to do away with counterproductive discourse. It is in the best interests of student organizations to express criticism but maintain mutual respect. Student representatives need to evaluate the impact of their actions. My experience this year has taught me that communication is of the utmost importance when it comes to improving our student organizations. I thank the individuals who have had criticisms and have succeeded in changing the University of Toronto Students’ Union through participation at our meetings, discussion and bringing forth resolutions to our governance bodies.

Criticism is a welcome feature of our respective organizations. It is crucial to mention however, that criticism coupled with malicious intent is damaging and serves to undermine an organization.

I challenge student representatives to reexamine their relationship with the UTSU. A combative relationship yields no rewards. Student representatives must transcend the politics of yesterday to build on our collective success. If we truly want to address the valid issues that have been discussed this year, we have to ensure the atmosphere surrounding our organizations is amicable.

I challenge student representatives to build a better U of T through collaboration. Through our combined efforts and resources, our student organizations can achieve more than through bickering and name-calling. I firmly believe that collaboration is the solution to improving participation and knowledge of student union activities. The key to effective collaboration is taking the initiative to reach out and having the willingness to participate respectfully and honestly.

Shaun Shepherd is outgoing president of the University of Toronto Students’ Union.