Last Friday, Toronto hosted its second Mad Decent Block Party, with the block in question this year being Fort York, as opposed to last year’s free entry show at Yonge and Dundas Square. The new location provided partygoers with more room, more people, a 19-plus section, an environment that allowed for more festival behavior, and, inevitably, lots of dancing.

The DJ sets began at 4 pm and lasted until 11 pm, this included A Tribe Called Red’s and Toronto’s own Zeds Dead’s highly anticipated performances.

Riff Raff, whose performance was also highly awaited, had  audience members chanting his name for minutes before stepping onstage. The second Riff was on, the crowd was more than willing to rap along with him and yell out his many aliases — the most popular being “Iceberg Simpson.” As Riff rapped and drank out of what appeared to be a champagne bottle, his hype-man happily threw Riff Raff t-shirts and sprayed us all with a beer-filled water gun. The guy in front of me was lucky enough to catch a shirt, to the envy of all those around him.

Still, the headlining act, Major Lazer, left an impression on the audience like no other performers could. Lazer’s infamous “twerk” contest brought a handful of girls on stage to sweat it out and give their all as the audience watched in alternating awe and sad embarrassment.

Diplo also performed at the party, rolling onto the crowd in an inflatable hamster ball — which everyone was sure to capture on photo and upload to Instagram.

Streamers, confetti, and mock dollar bills were constantly being released into the air throughout the day, which was already filled with smoke of various kinds. Later, Major Lazer threw small bags into the crowd and carefully orchestrated the crowd members who caught them to open them at the same time, revealing colourful paint powders that permeated the air. The combination of colours, stage lights, city lights, lighters, phones lights, flags, and hands created an  electric and vivid skyline. Fort York was brought to life with Mad Decent energy — enough to last us all until next year.