Former University of Toronto Students’ Union (UTSU) president Shaun Shepherd is alleged to have stolen from and harmed a “bishop” during a confrontation outside the students’ union building on Monday, November 4. The bishop is a ceremonial position held by a Trinity College student.

The incident happened during a Trinity College event called The Humbling, a decades-old tradition in which Trinity students parade from college to college, making satirical speeches and apologizing for the perceived inferiority of other colleges.

After visiting other colleges, a group of approximately 40 students participating in The Humbling gathered in front of the UTSU building where they were joined by UTSU president Munib Sajjad, and vice-president, internal and services, Cameron Wathey, along with Shepherd.

A few minutes into the speeches, Shepherd approached Trinity College bishop, Marissa Martins, and stole the ceremonial mitre — a bishop’s traditional hat — from off her head. In the process, he allegedly scratched her face. Shepherd denied injuring Martins.

Shepherd then ran around the UTSU building and out of sight.

A number of students carried on with The Humbling after unsuccessfully chasing Shepherd, and some Trinity students stayed behind at the UTSU building. Sajjad said that some of the executives felt threatened by the group outside and called campus police, who informed them that the students had a right to be there if they were not blocking any entrances or exits.

“Calling campus police without cause is not an advisable strategy to prevent the growing dissatisfaction and alienation of your membership,” said Benjamin Crase, co-head of Trinity College.

Shepherd said that the incident was done in jest. “Trinity was dishing it so I figured they could take it,” he said, citing similar incidents over the years of Trinity pranking the UTSU. “It was done in [the spirit of] friendly college banter,” he said.

Shepherd, now an alumnus, originally denied taking the item, but later admitted to it. While he said that the mitre is safe and undamaged, he claimed not to know its current whereabouts, and said he will help retrieve it.

Martins said she is disappointed at the actions of the former UTSU president.

“I’m not so much shook up as just disheartened that a person who was in such a prominent position four or five months ago has the audacity to deny the wilful stealing of college property,” Martins said.

Martins said that the mitre, a valuable item to Trinity, was purchased several years ago through student fees. While Martins said she received a scratch that night, she has since downplayed its importance. Above all, Martins wants the mitre returned.

“I spoke with the bishop [Martins], and I invited the bishop out for coffee, but she refused,” said Shepherd.

Shepherd has since said that he acted alone. Sajjad said that Shepherd asked him jokingly if he should steal the mitre, and he said no. “I didn’t think he would actually do it,” Sajjad said. He has since asked Shepherd to return the mitre.

Several Trinity College students present during The Humbling suggested that Shepherd and the UTSU colluded.

“There’s been a natural culture that has been developed, in my opinion, within the Trinity realm, for them to look at the UTSU and look at them as enemies,” said Sajjad.

Sajjad described past pranks by groups of engineers on the UTSU, and said that they are mostly harmless. However, he said that  Trinity’s pranks that involve first-year students can be more nefarious. A letter by Sajjad, sent to the Student Societies Summit, cited more serious pranks, from: “instructing first-year students to urinate on our office, to delivering whole dead pigs to our office, to egging our door.”

“When it comes to hazing rituals of first-year students, that’s not something I’ve seen from engineers,” said Sajjad, adding that this is predominantly a problem with Trinity College. He maintains that first-year students should make up their own minds about what to believe regarding the UTSU, and events like The Humbling encourage them to believe the worst.

Trinity College head of arts, Kate Motluk, who oversaw The Humbling, said that it can be expected that not everyone will appreciate the humour of the event.

Motluk said she is unsure about the future of the event. “This depends on next year’s bishop, and what they choose to do,” said Motluk.

As to the prospect for criminal charges being laid, Trinity College, Dean of Students, Jonathan Steels said he would not comment, as his office is currently investigating the allegations.