The beginning of the first year of university can be stressful and overwhelming for anyone, but for rookie athletes all over campus, this time of year is particularly hectic. Tryouts for varsity sports can be long and difficult, and will result in new opportunities for some and disappointment for others. For the lucky few who receive chances to represent the University of Toronto on their respective teams, the tryout process is more than worth it.

Zac Kelcher-McConnell is one athlete who recently won a spot on the varsity baseball team as a catcher. Scouted for the team during his high school baseball career, Kelcher-McConnell participated in the team’s mid-August tryouts along with other first-year students and returning players.

Starting with a group of 50, the baseball tryouts narrowed down the team to just 30 players, including approximately 10 new players.

“The weekend was very stressful for most new players as they knew that each mistake may cost them their spot on the team or their spot in the starting line-up if they weren’t careful.

“It was both physically and mentally exhausting, but all in all the best team was definitely picked by the end of the weekend,” said Kelcher-McConnell.

This unusual start to university is hardly an easy one for athletes. However, for those first-years who make the teams, despite the temporary stresses of the tryout process, being on a team may ultimately help them in their transition to university and become more successful in other aspects of their university career.

“In my opinion trying out for a team does give me a different experience from other freshmen as not only does it give me people that I can ask for advice right from the start but it also instills in me a sense of discipline when it comes to school work and balancing schedules as we have upwards of 30 games spread out over six weeks of the first year in university,” said Kelcher-McConnell. 

He added, “It really makes you hit the ground running and sets a tone for what university can be like.”

For many new varsity athletes, hitting the ground running is exactly what they’ll have to do, as both classes and game schedules intensify in the first few weeks. But for these frosh, the positive experiences they can look forward to outweighs any difficulties they had during tryouts.

“It really is an amazing feeling to be able to represent all the students at U of T every time I put on my uniform. Yes, the tryouts and practices are grueling and hard work at first, but all of that hard work pays off in the end,” said Kelcher-McConnell.