As we enter into the first stages of 2015, it is high time to start planning out our citywide endeavors. There is nothing better than engaging in Toronto’s incredibly wide range of culture and goings-on about town. This January, artists and musicians from all over will be stopping by to tour recent albums, to open for other established acts, or to simply perform for the sake of performing. So empty out your pockets, check under your couch cushions, and prepare to see some choice entertainment. Here are our best bets for the month ahead.

The Ting Tings

Monday, January 19

The Virgin Mobile Mod Club

$28

David kk/flickr by CC.

David kk/flickr by CC.

Remember that song “Shut Up and Let Me Go?” Or “That’s Not My Name?” Yeah, of course you do. The Ting Tings are the masters of super sassy dance-punk, the overlords of obviously green-screened music videos, and a truly vital part of the onslaught of ridiculous music to emerge from the mid-2000s. Although you may have tried to forget about them, The Ting Tings have stepped back into the musical ring to tour their latest album, Super Critical, released last October. This show is pretty much guaranteed to be a good time for everyone, considering that their music basically requires people to dance and shout out their all-too-memorable lyrics. The show will inevitably be as good as when the British duo were in their prime, and now that they’ve been hidden for a while, they’ll be (figuratively and literally) dressed to impress.

Elliott Brood

Saturday, January 24

The Phoenix Concert Theatre

$23

gabriel perez/flickr by CC.

gabriel perez/flickr by CC.

Elliott Brood attracts a special kind of crowd; sweaty beanie-wearing dudes are to be expected, and uncoordinated forms of step dance are to be embraced. This is a time for plaid-covered bros everywhere to stand arm-in-arm, belting out lyrics with passionate fervor — possibly in light of a recent breakup or loss of employment. They will most likely line the perimeter of the venue like a chain-link fence; the middle ground will be dedicated to the practice of old-fashioned jiving for those who want to joyously fling each other about.

Hailing from Windsor before forming in Toronto in 2002, Elliott Brood is an amiable combination of rural and urban Canada, which comes to life in their unique mixture of folk, rock, and bluegrass. The trio of Canadian musicians are currently touring their album, Work and Love, to spread their folk-soaked sounds to the rest of the nation. In the wide world of happy folk music, Elliott Brood does Canada proud with their feel-good music and enthusiastic performances. If you can only see one show this month, let it be this.

Wild Child

Wednesday, January 28

The Horseshoe Tavern

$13.50

Courtesy of Jessica Klima.

Courtesy of Jessica Klima.

There are a variety of words in the English language that can be used to categorize the band Wild Child — charming and genial, indie, or indie-pop — but to accurately encompass the sheer essence of the group all in one breath, there really is no better word than “twee,” a word that describes something excessively quaint, or something you could look at and say “goodness gracious, it’s almost obnoxious how precious that is” — enter Wild Child.

Duet vocalists Alexander Beggins and Kelsey Wilson sing songs about heartbreak over soft piano and guitar-based melody. While some may consider their music slightly irritating, others will find the gentle sound pleasantly relaxing. The musicians are undeniably talented and certainly know how to write a catchy tune. If you’re into seeing a softer, mellowed-out performance, Wild Child will be worth your time. While their earlier music is lighter and more acoustically driven, their more recent material has taken a more excitable turn, which could mean that there may at least be some feet-shuffling in-store for this show. Regardless of musical taste, consider yourself warned: this show will look like a screen shot of Portlandia.

The Souljazz Orchestra

Friday, January 23

The Garrison

$15

Bill Gordon/flickr by CC.

Bill Gordon/flickr by CC.

Fast-paced, upbeat, and exciting, The Souljazz Orchestra will be one of the most dynamic and unique performances happening in Toronto this January. Whereas most of this list names acts in-and-around the realm of indie-rock music, The Souljazz Orchestra is a far cry from conventional rock concerts. Since the show will be taking place inside The Garrison, one of Toronto’s smaller venues, it’s expected to get crowded and will likely attract a lively audience.

The Souljazz Orchestra is a multi-genre, six-piece band that originated in Ottawa in 2002. Their musical style is a mixture of soul and jazz, sprinkled here and there with bits of funk and afrobeat. Its sound is reminiscent of musicians such as Fela Kuti or William Onyeabor. Without the knowledge of their recent formation it could easily be assumed that they originated back in the ’80s. Being the young and energetic musicians they are, their shows are bound to be exciting, not to mention educational. This show is worth your time if you’re feeling adventurous and interested in expanding your musical taste.

Owen Pallett

Saturday, January 31

Lee’s Palace

$15

Patrick Imbeau/flickr by CC.

Patrick Imbeau/flickr by CC.

In the world of North American indie-rock, Owen Pallet is a notable stand-out. His high-pitched falsetto and violin-based music makes for a sharp detour from the timeless guitar, bass, and drum setup of countless other bands. Backed by synths, drums, and guitars, Pallett’s voice and violin soar high above the backing band, dousing listeners in elegant and swelling melodies. His music is intricately woven together by the mixing of sounds and rhythmic patterns, and is simply mesmerizing.  Pallett’s show probably won’t be one to bounce around to, but will be nevertheless worth seeing. He has collaborated with various musical acts over the past few years, including Arcade Fire, and his own creation, Final Fantasy.