My fondest memories from my childhood involve my whole family sitting in the living room enjoying music together. The voices of Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff, Lauryn Hill, Boney M., and so many other artists would fill the room, and I would have a profound sense of peace as I felt the music. Music continues to fill my world and brings me my greatest comforts, and I want to appreciate the Black artists who pioneered the music many enjoy today. 

Poly Styrene is a name that many people may not know, but to Black women in alternative spaces such as myself, she is an icon. A biracial woman in the ’70s punk scene, many saw her as an outcast and “poseur.” As the frontwoman of the band X-Ray Spex, she sang about her experiences in the scene and became an inspiration to many. 

ISIO EMAKPOR/THEVARSITY

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Tupac Shakur is a household name. His powerful lyrics inspired everybody, no matter what the circumstances are, to keep going and look forward to a brighter tomorrow. Taken from us too soon, his music still reminds all to keep their heads up. 

ISIO EMAKPOR/THEVARSITY

Queen Latifah is a reminder that queerness and blackness can exist together. She sings of “U.N.I.T.Y” and uplifting each other. The combination of her lyricism and her mere presence as not just a rapper is an inspiration to be yourself. 

ISIO EMAKPOR/THEVARSITY

Finally, Tyler the Creator is a recent and extremely popular example of a Black artist breaking the mould, and revolutionizing the music scene. Tyler’s unique sound and style have garnered him immense popularity and a cult following. I believe that without the three artists mentioned before, we wouldn’t have Tyler. 

ISIO EMAKPOR/THEVARSITY

All of these artists gave us what we have today and speak to many listeners on a unique level. Combined, they made me realize I have a place in this world, and I’m just as good as anyone else.