The storey-high yellow and red sign on the storefront of Pho Hung is an immediately recognizable Chinatown staple. For those of you who have been there, I know I’m preaching to the choir. This recommendation is for those who have not yet been converted — the food is outrageous and the prices decidedly not.

Obviously, the top-ticket menu item at Pho Hung is the salty noodle soup that gives the restaurant its name. No surprise there — pho is a magical, all-purpose cure for colds, hangovers, broken hearts, and midterm blues. The ingredients vary, with options including rare and well-done beef, brisket, tripe, tendon, and beef balls. My personal recommendation from the massive menu would be to keep it simple with a $7.50 large Pho Tái, the rice noodle soup with rare beef: trust me, the large size lives up to its name.

If you’re feeling more adventurous, the Pho Hung Dac Biet or “Hung’s Special” costs an extra 50 cents and comes with rare and well-done beef, tripe, and tendon, and if you’re in the mood to share an appetizer, try the Cha Giò Chay, the restaurant’s deep fried vegetarian spring rolls. The $4.00 small size is great as a smaller snack, while the $7.50 size up is ideal for the hungrier student or as a sharing plate.

If you really want to get fancy and spend a little extra, take a look at the drink menu. Pho Hung offers a variety of hot and cold Vietnamese beverages, like the $3.50 filtered coffee with condensed milk. Or, if you’re looking for something more refreshing for the same price, try a soda water with fresh lemon juice, ice, and sugar.

If you haven’t already, make the pilgrimage to Pho Hung — located on Spadina between College and Dundas — in between classes. I promise that you will be an immediate pho convert.