The University of Toronto Varsity Blues men’s hockey team lost 4–1 against the York Lions on Friday, October 27, a result that pushes the Blues’ record to 2-2 on the season.

There was no scoring in the first period, as the Blues outshot the Lions 11-4. There were quality chances at both ends, but the Blues were unable to capitalize on two power play chances.

Six minutes into the second period, Lions forward Reid Jackman broke the scoring off a great setup from Nik Coric and Derek Sheppard on the power play. The second period featured a total of six penalties, three for each side. York looked to have scored another goal off the rush, but it was quickly waved off due to goalie interference, and the Blues were awarded a power play. York had the edge in shots this period, outshooting Toronto 11-8.

Scoring picked up in the third period, when Jackman scored his second of the game off a rebound in front of the net to make it 2–0. The Blues were able to sustain pressure in the Lions zone for most of the period. With seven minutes remaining in the game, Blues forward Louie Kereakou put one home off a scramble in front of the net to make the game 2–1. The Blues pulled their goalie to try to make a final attempt to tie the game. Despite generating chances, the Blues offense fell short as York scored an empty net goal off a shot near centre ice. With the Blues goalie back in the net, York scored another power play goal off a slapshot from the point to seal the game for the Lions.

The Blues outshot York 29-23. Toronto’s power play went 0-8 on the game.

The Blues’ next home game is on Friday November 10 against the Ryerson Rams at 7:00 pm at Varsity Arena.