The ultimate goal of the school year is to attain a perfect beach bod, and now that summer’s here, there’s no reason to stop. This summer, take the time to focus on building a fun routine that keeps you in shape regardless of the weather.

Toronto is a city known for its diversity, and its selection of workouts is just as plentiful. Indoor gyms and dance studios allow you to beat the heat, but outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, or going to the park let you enjoy a fun summer adventure!

Indoor activities

Hone Fitness is a gym that offers two great locations close to downtown, at Yonge Street and Isabella Street, and at Bathurst Street and Queen Street. The gym offers a simple yet strong arsenal of gym equipment geared toward both strength and cardio.

Another option is Planet Fitness. Located on Dupont Street and Dufferin Street at the Galleria Mall, this gym offers a no-commitment plan for access to all types of cardio machines. However, options are limited when it comes to heavier weight equipment. It is open 24/7, except for some public holidays.

If you’re looking for something upbeat, try a friendly beginner Zumba class that runs every Wednesday through to July 25 at Damask Studios, a five minute walk from the Dundas West subway station. A single class is $15. This class will be sure to get your heart rate up!

Then again, summer is for being outdoors.

Outdoor activities

The city offers multiple trails for hiking and walking, such as Cedar Trail, located by the Toronto Zoo. For something a little closer, Garrison Creek is an easy trail near Christie Pits Park. A more challenging trail would be the Rosedale Ravine — right in the centre of Toronto. It features eight kilometres of creek and forest and allows off-road cycling. More information on trails can be found here.

A great place to try out your bike is the waterfront trail. It has a beautiful beach and pavilion, with a dedicated bike path that unwinds into Queen’s Quay and Harbourfront. For something a little more off-trail, take a trip to High Park, where you’ll be surrounded by beautiful summer greens.

Want something more fun? Whether you’re looking to play ball or go for a run, Toronto parks have great facilities that can be taken advantage of. Moss Park, on Sherbourne Street and Shuter Street, has basketball and tennis courts, and Regent Park at Sumach Street and Shuter has an outdoor track. Ourland Park will also be holding free yoga sessions every Sunday from 12:00–1:00 pm through to August 26 — a waiver is required.

Use the City of Toronto’s park map to explore all the options the city has to offer. You can also look up drop-in programs, such as volleyball or soccer, on the city’s program listing here.

Keep in mind to always carry a water bottle, and watch out for heat waves. Summer is a time for fun and recreation, so make the most of it before fall rolls around!