On a warm Sunday, September 2 afternoon, the University of Toronto Varsity Blues women’s soccer team took on their crosstown rivals, the Ryerson Rams. It only took 17 minutes for the Blues to get their first goal, with striker Natasha Klasios scoring her third of the season from a tight angle.

“The girl kind of took a swing at me but missed the ball, so I got through and I was near the touch line. And then I saw no one else there, so I just started cutting it back. The goalie came out, [so I] just tried slipping it in,” commented Klasios, who notched a goal and an assist, as well as six shots in the game. “Went in. Lucky goal, but I’ll take ‘em,” she said modestly.

In stoppage time at the end of the first half, Klasios drew a penalty in the box and was awarded a penalty kick. However, the shot was saved by Ryerson goalkeeper Elisa Lapadula. Toronto defender Anna Crone also received a yellow card at the end of the half.

In the second half, the Blues were able to lock down defensively and keep Ryerson off the board. Toronto made five substitutions in the second half alone. In the 90th minute, Kristin Parkes was able to seal the game for Toronto off of a brilliant assist from Klasios.

The Blues had 15 total shots this game to Ryerson’s nine, and Toronto keeper Vanna Staggolis made five saves for the shutout victory.

The game was rather chippy, with one player from each team receiving a yellow card. Toronto had five fouls, and Ryerson had eight, seven of them coming in the second half. “We haven’t actually played [Ryerson] in a year, because last year they were our bye, so it’s always a huge game,” said Klasios about their rivals. “In our first and second years it was massive; it’s really exciting, good derby competition and we got the win so I’m happy.”

The win gave the Blues seven out of nine possible points on the season, and it kept them undefeated.