Police have arrested and charged Samuel Opoku, 23, of multiple assaults involving throwing a bucket of human feces on people at UTSG. The first incident took place at Robarts Library on the evening of Friday, November 22, and the second took place at College Street and University Avenue at night on Monday, November 25. Opoku has been charged on five counts of assault with a weapon and five counts of mischief interfere with property, and is scheduled to appear in court tomorrow.

According to Toronto Police Services, during the November 22 incident the man “poured the contents of a bucket he was carrying onto two unsuspecting people who were seated at a table in the library,” and later fled on foot. 

In the second incident, an unidentified man walked up to a woman, and poured the contents of the bucket he was carrying onto her, and fled on foot eastbound on College Street. In both instances, the contents of the bucket were described as “liquefied fecal matter.” 

A security camera image of the man has been released to the public. 

“As a public university, we work to make the resources of our libraries as open as possible. What happened was shocking and assistance was provided to those affected,” U of T Media Relations told The Varsity

Michael Munroe, Director of Campus Police Services, sent out an email today notifying students of the incidents. “Toronto Police Service (TPS) are leading this investigation,” the email reads. “We continue to work with Toronto Police in supporting their efforts, and we have also increased Campus Police patrols at the University.” 

A third similar incident also took place at York University on Sunday.

Editor’s Note (Nov. 26, 9:36pm): Article has been updated to reflect that the suspect has been apprehended.

Editor’s Note (Nov. 26, 9:56pm): Article has been updated to reflect that the suspect has been charged.