The University of Toronto’s Student Newspaper Since 1880

Track and field shines at provincials

Women finish third, men fourth at OUAs
The OUA Championships took place at York University.COURTESY OF JIMMY WANG/VARSITY BLUES

The University of Toronto track and field teams had a spectacular two days of competition at the Ontario University Athletic (OUA) Championships at York University from February 21–22. The Blues notched 13 podium finishes over the two-day event, with the women claiming the overall bronze medal and the men’s team finishing just off the podium in fourth place. The results — six of which were first-place finishes — bode well for the Blues as they look ahead to U SPORTS Nationals.

On the women’s side, two rookie Blues won gold in their first OUA appearances. Pole vaulter Alexzandra Thorndson single-handedly swept her competition, while jumper Kristen Schulz — who also placed second in long jump — nabbed the triple jump crown. The women’s team rookies played a crucial role in their team’s bronze medal performance, with a notable performance coming from Christina Esposito, who teamed up with veteran standouts Lucia Stafford, Somerset Jarvis, and Sarah Kwajafa to earn the women’s four-by-800 metre relay silver.

COURTESY OF JIMMY WANG/VARSITY BLUES

First-year sprinters Elizabeth Martin, Onome Gbinje, and Maya Ryan also had fabulous performances: racing with veteran Katrina Innanen, they won silver in the four-by-200 metre relay. Martin also snagged a third place finish in the 60-metre sprint, while teammates Emily Branderhorst and Hannah Rolfe claimed first and third respectively in the high jump. Toronto’s medal performances were also accompanied by a pair of fourth-place finishes by Innanen in the 300-metre and the four-by-400 metre relays.

Jack Berkshire was the star of the men’s team, winning the 600 metre event while adding a bronze medal in the 300 metre. Cameron Bruce notched a first-place finish in the 60-metre hurdles, with triple jumper Femi Akinduro rounding out the gold medal performances with his second straight triple jump title. Frank Vreugdenhil completed his first OUA championship with a bronze medal in shot put and a sixth-place finish in weight throw.

Other notable performances included heptathlete Philippe Johns’ fifth-place standing, and a fourth-place finish from the four-by-200 metre team.

Toronto will now look forward to the U SPORTS National Championships, which will take place from March 5–7 at the University of Alberta. Varsity Blues fans should expect more big performances from the likes of Canadian record-holder Stafford, as well as two-time silver medallist Branderhorst and reigning champion Akinduro.