Entering an unusual fall semester at U of T, many are uncertain as to what is open on campus due to COVID-19 restrictions. Several study spaces across campus have been partially reopened with new policies in place to ensure the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff.

Wearing a non-medical mask or a face covering to access these study spaces is mandatory as per University of Toronto policy, and students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to use the university’s UCheck self-assessment portal prior to accessing these spaces.  

Robarts Library 

A popular study destination for many, Robarts Library is open all week with altered hours and limited access. In order to enter the building, users must scan their TCards. The library is open from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm Monday to Thursday, and Fridays from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. On weekends, the library’s hours run from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturdays and 1:00–6:00 pm on Sundays with no extended hours services. 

Additionally, Robarts is also offering curbside pickup for books in the stacks and in storage, with service hours from Monday to Saturday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. 

Group study rooms in Robarts are unavailable at this time, and there is no access to Robarts stacks for the fall semester. Floors one through five offer a total of 256 seats and 25 physically distanced computer workstations, with spaces available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Additionally, signs have been put up to indicate which seats and tables are available.

Some food services remain in operation, including the Starbucks and Tortillas, with physical distancing measures and heightened sanitation measures in place, though the food court is closed.

Gerstein Science Information Centre 

Gerstein Library is open to current U of T students, staff, and faculty from Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm, and Saturdays from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm with no time limit on how long someone can stay. TCards are required to enter the building. 

The first floor offers 99 seats and 24 computer workstations on a first-come, first-serve basis. Books and journal stacks remain closed at this time and course reserves are not available. 

The Green Beet, located in Gerstein Library, is closed. 

Bora Laskin Law Library 

The Bora Laskin Law Library is strictly open to law students and will operate at reduced hours for the fall term. The library is open from Monday to Thursday from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, and 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on Fridays. Weekend hours have been reduced to 10:00 am to 6:00 pm on Saturdays and 12:00–4:00 pm on Sundays. All stacks in the library, including short-term loan options, are closed. 

Group study rooms are available for online booking to law students only. Users are expected to adhere to the University of Toronto’s physical distancing protocols and must wear a mask or face covering at all times when using the study rooms.

Music Library 

The Music Library is open to those with fob access, such as music students and faculty and staff, from Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Those without fob access can use curbside services. 

Access to study spaces and computers are by appointment only. Students and faculty may book a space up to seven days in advance for a two-hour time block. 

Sidney Smith Hall and Commons study space

Sidney Smith Hall remains open Mondays to Fridays from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. Sidney Smith Commons study space is open from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday to Thursday. Physical distancing protocols remain in place.

While physical group study rooms may not be available for booking during the fall semester, the Sidney Smith Commons is currently offering “Meet to Complete” online study sessions for students to study with others. Each session is hosted by a student from Monday to Thursday from 3:00–5:00 pm and 7:00–9:00 pm. On Fridays, sessions are available from 3:00–5:00 pm.

Hart House 

Students and faculty may book two-hour time slots for the Reading Room with a maximum of 26 people, the Map Room with a maximum of 15 people, and the Hart House Library with a maximum of 20 from Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm, and from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. A one-hour time slot is available for the chapel with a maximum of four people. 

Students have to register beforehand and are expected to check in at the Information Hub on the main floor with proof of their registration and confirmation and proceed directly to their activity room.