Toronto FC (TFC) has always been a team surrounded by expectations. In the club’s early years, it took five games for TFC to score their first goal, and it wasn’t until their ninth season that they finally made the playoffs. When the team was at their lowest, the expectations to do better were high.

Many, however, may not remember these early years when TFC struggled so much. Their recent success dominates the public’s memory, with TFC making three finals appearances in four years. The 2017 campaign saw TFC break the record for regular season points and win every trophy they competed for.

They went from one of the worst teams to one of the best, yet the expectations have not diminished. If anything, they have grown. 

A promising start to the season

Heading into 2020, TFC was plagued by these expectations. The 2019 season wrapped up with a brutal loss to a familiar foe — the Seattle Sounders — in the MLS Cup finals. This year was one of redemption — a push to make the finals yet again.

But this season was unlike any other. TFC had just won their home opener when the COVID-19 pandemic halted the league for four months. After the hiatus, TFC moved from stadium to stadium: first playing at Walt Disney World, then competing across Canada before finally relocating to Rentschler Field in Connecticut, their home away from home for over two months.

Despite the difficult situation, TFC continued to exceed expectations once again. While in Connecticut, they won or tied in eight games and were the first team to secure a spot in the playoffs. 

But, TFC fell short. The Philadelphia Union ended up claiming the Supporters’ Shield, and TFC lost in their first playoff game. What happened?

The games came fast and furious for TFC: they played 12 matches in just over seven weeks. When it mattered most, TFC found themselves without two designated players and five other starters due to injury. The effects of being separated from their families for months may have also taken a toll on the players by the end of the season. 

What the future holds 

Where do TFC go from here? Changes have already been made, with head coach Greg Vanney stepping down on December 1 after almost seven years with the club. The news came as a shock, as Vanney led TFC to the greatest victories in franchise history. Under his leadership, TFC became one of the best teams, and his legacy won’t be forgotten. But should much else change? Perhaps this team doesn’t need a complete reset. 

Echoes of Sebastian Giovinco’s magic are seen in Alejandro Pozuelo, with his knack for impressive footwork, scoring, and assisting goals. He is undoubtedly a star, making the MLS Best XI this year and being nominated for the Landon Donovan MLS MVP award. 

This team is still led by their fearless captain Michael Bradley, whose reliability and dedication is priceless. Jozy Altidore, who will go down in TFC history, still leads the offence as one of the team’s greatest assets.

The similarities between the 2017 group and this 2020 team run even deeper. Although they lack the silverware to prove it in 2020, TFC is still a winning team — they are determined, focused, and have proven that they know what it takes to win. The passion that has set TFC apart in the past is still there.

Even though they failed to meet expectations this year, I wouldn’t give up on this TFC team just yet. One disappointing season does not define a team of winners. These disappointments instead fuel the expectations for next season and will only make this group come back stronger.

I would not be surprised to find TFC back in the finals next year, lifting another trophy. Winning teams always find a way to win again.