As the Toronto and Peel Region enters the Grey Zone level of the new COVID-19 classifications, meaning a lockdown in the area beginning on November 23 and lasting at least until December 21, U of T students on all three campuses will see changes to the services available through the university. 

In line with the provincial guidelines for residents to stay home and limit contact with the exception of essential travel, the university has altered the availability and form of student services and academic delivery to adhere to the province’s COVID-19 framework.

The university is enforcing three major changes, including halting indoor public events and social gatherings, halting indoor and outdoor sport and recreation facilities not including online offerings and limiting outdoor gatherings to 10 people. The university is also requiring that outdoor gatherings on campus include use of face masks and physical distancing.

Libraries and study spaces

Academic support services will continue to function virtually. Libraries remain closed, instead offering pick-up services and access to information technology resources. Curbside pickup is available until December 18 at Robarts Library and earlier at other libraries; this service will pick up again in the new year. All loans have also been extended without late fines, and students are asked not to renew books as this interferes with the loan-extension script. 

Students will be able to utilize library study spaces at limited capacity. Robarts Library is offering limited seating for access to desktop computers and internet connection. Students off campus can use RemoteLab service to access specialized software on student computers in the Computer Access Facilities at Robarts Library. Group study rooms, however, are unavailable.

At UTSC, the Bladen Wing labs and study space will be available through the ARC Quad entrance at limited capacity. The University of Mississauga Students’ Union resources are only accessible virtually. U-Pass will be distributed through mail, and all UTMSU staff and executives will be accessible through email.

Courses and research 

Class delivery and exam proctoring will continue virtually, save a handful of classes that require in-person teaching, which will proceed as permitted under provincial measures. Courses for most faculties will continue online in the winter semester.

Research continues to be conducted remotely whenever possible and on campus with safety measures in place.

Residences and campus life

Campus life will continue to function as per the new status quo; residences remain open and are adhering to stringent safety precautions. Food services will continue to be available through pick-up only. Blind Duck Pub will remain open at UTM until the week of December 14 for take-out only.

At the U of T bookstore, students will only be able to purchase items online until further notice. Items will be delivered or can be received via contactless pick-up at UTSG by appointment.