A survey from the University College Literary and Athletic Society (UC Lit) conducted from November 5–18 asked respondents about the impact of online learning on their mental wellness, as well as how accessibility has been affected. The survey had 73 respondents, who were mostly University College students. The survey ultimately lists a number of recommendations to address accessibility issues, including encouraging incentives for note takers and increased leniency and flexibility from professors. 

A U of T-affiliated study published this past September, which surveyed 730 U of T students, found that students who did not have pre-existing mental health conditions reported increased symptoms of depression and anxiety due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The study attributed much of this to the social isolation of the pandemic.

The UC Lit University and Academic Affairs Commission will conduct a similar survey in February to analyze the impact of any changes. 

Findings

Overall, respondents reported feelings of social isolation, lack of motivation, and feeling “drained, overwhelmed and stressed” when learning virtually. Some reported feeling as though they constantly have to catch up, as well as a “lack of time for self-care.” 

The survey also showed students feeling a “blending of weekdays and weekends and lack of time for breaks,” as well as difficulty directing mental attention to non-school-related responsibilities. Some reported feeling less supported by faculty and the university, and felt additional stress and expectations from deadlines and assignments. 

Students who were registered for accessibility services reported a couple of barriers to receiving accommodations. Some respondents noted a lack of registered note takers and lecture notes, while some wrote that it was harder to conduct phone appointments and meetings with advisors for accessibility. Others reported their accessibility needs being met by the university. 

Respondents who were not registered with accessibility services, however, reported more accessibility-related barriers to their learning. Some reported social isolation and being afraid to ask for extensions on assignments. Others reported mental health challenges, though they are not registered to receive accommodations for this. 

Technical difficulties, including slow internet and “choppy lectures,” were also issues, along with difficulty focusing on work without access to libraries. Students who speak English as a second language said that lecture transcripts might assist their learning. 

In an email to The Varsity, UC Lit University and Academic Affairs Commissioner Vaish Vijayan, who was in charge of drafting the UC Lit’s report, wrote that she has met multiple times with University College administrators to review the survey results. University College has also helped distribute the survey to professors and are using the survey and course evaluations to work on “adapting teaching methods.” 

Recommendations 

The UC Lit hopes that “professors will create environments of flexibility and compassion” upon seeing the results of the survey. The survey also provided a list of recommendations for increasing accessibility and reducing student strains, such as accommodating students in different time zones with recorded lectures and providing lecture transcripts for students who speak English as a second language. 

The report also suggested that U of T make the accessibility intake process easier, as well as provide advisers to assist students through the process. As some students have reported a lack of note takers for their courses, UC Lit recommended that a registered note taker be available in every class through additional incentives other than Co-Curricular Record acknowledgement, if necessary.

In terms of mental wellness, the report recommended providing increased leniency and flexibility on extension requests, encouraging professors to do mental wellness check-ins, increasing the amount of study groups, and providing more information on workshops and resources for students.