The University of Toronto Students’ Union (UTSU) Vice-President, Public & University Affairs Catherine Lai submitted her resignation on September 15, citing health issues. The board will vote on whether or not to accept the resignation at the next Board of Directors meeting on September 26. 

The position was previously vacant after the sole candidate dropped out of the election in the spring, after which Lai was appointed and took office on April 30.

In an email to The Varsity, Lai wrote that she decided to resign due to extended health issues, noting that the decision was a difficult one. 

“I felt that the full-time students that I represent deserve a full-time advocate who can carry out the crucial work of the Public & University Affairs portfolio, and as I focus on recovery, I’d like to pass the torch on to a successor who does have the flexibility to dedicate themself the needs of this role through to May 2022,” wrote Lai. 

UTSU President Alexa Ballis and Lai both confirmed to The Varsity that the next vice-president, public & university affairs will be elected during the fall by-elections, at the same time that a number of other vacant seats are filled. 

According to Lai, nominations for the by-elections will be open from October 1–8, and voting will be open from October 16–18. An information session will be held on September 30 at noon, and the results will be announced on October 20.

Lai will handle the new executive’s transition. She also noted that she will be going over her resignation at the next meeting, when the board will vote to accept it.