Ghaith Hanbali has been appointed as Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU) vice-president operations following the resignation of the former vice-president operations, Andy Mai. Hanbali is a fifth-year student specializing in political science and minoring in public law and public policy. 

In an interview with The Varsity, Hanbali shared his goals for this position, and the prior experiences that have prepared him for it. Previously, he served as the president and secretary general of both the Toronto Students for Justice in Palestine and the University of Toronto Scarborough Model United Nations. 

Hanbali said he was also the finance and sponsorship executive for Toronto Students for Justice in Palestine, as well as the internal coordinator for Model United Nations. Due to the experience he acquired from these positions, Hanbali is comfortable coordinating with sponsors and managing budgets as the SCSU’s vice-president operations. 

Hanbali said that when the vice-president operations position became available, he felt that “it [was] the next logical step to take [his] student leadership at least to a broader audience and broader impact on the student community.”

As the SCSU’s vice-president operations, Hanbali hopes to “reignite the strong sense of community on campus,” as he feels that the pandemic has caused this sense of community to drift away. “We need to… ease the minds of students coming back to campus that are concerned for their health and to make sure that all our events are according to health regulations,” he said.