Eight student seats on U of T’s Governing Council are up for election this year. 

The Governing Council is composed of 50 individuals, including administrative staff, full-time undergraduates, part-time undergraduates, graduate students, teaching staff, and alumni. It approves decisions on academic, admissions, and tuition proposals. 

Web-based voting for the Governing Council positions will be open from 9:00 am on February 7 to 5:00 pm on February 18. The election results will be announced at 10:00 am on February 22.

There are four total seats open for full-time undergraduates, which are split into two constituencies: two seats are available to students from UTM, UTSC, and the Faculty of Arts & Science at UTSG and the other two are available to students from other faculties, including the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering and the Temerty Faculty of Medicine. For the seats in the first constituency, 34 candidates are competing, while four are competing for seats in the second. 

Two seats on the council are reserved for part-time undergraduates. However, only one student is running for the seats this year. 

The two seats available to graduate students are also split into two constituencies: one seat is offered to students in social sciences and humanities and the other to students in science programs. Seven candidates are competing in each constituency. 

Additionally, seats for administrative staff and teaching staff will also be filled in the upcoming elections.