Yumna Abdelhameed is running for vice-president equity on the UNIFY UTSC slate in the Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU) spring elections. She is in her third year, pursuing majors in psychology and health studies and a minor in biology.

Her campaign outlines the goals and promises she wishes to accomplish if she is elected the position for the 2022–2023 year. These goals include introducing two new grants, the Survivor Grant and the Transit Grant, meant to “better support students in accessing necessary support and accommodations.” 

She also hopes to host monthly mental wellness initiatives to support students throughout the year, and not just during stressful academic periods. 

Abdelhameed plans to create an improved physical space for the Racialized Students’ Collective to make its on-campus gatherings safer and to guarantee a safe organizing space for BIPOC students.

She believes her previous experience as the co-founder of her high school’s Black Students Association in her high school has prepared her for the role. In an email to The Varsity, Abdelhameed wrote, “Alongside a few friends, [the Black Students Association] led multiple workshops, events and collaborations at our district school board in order to bring awareness, educate and inspire others to create a safer place for all students and educators who felt left out within our community.”

Abdelhameed added, “Overall, if elected for VP Equity, I am planning to ensure that all students feel heard, understood and included within our SCSU.”

The voting period for the SCSU elections is being held from March 1–3.