After two years of virtual convocations for graduating students due to COVID-19, U of T has finally announced its intention to hold an in-person spring 2022 convocation. 

According to the website of the Office of Convocation, the university is planning on hosting this convocation June 2–24 at Convocation Hall, subject to any changes in public health measures.

Despite the province rolling back vaccine mandates, the university still requires vaccination for coming to campus. “You should be prepared to meet this requirement, and any further guidance as directed by Public Health,” reads the website. 

Cap and gown rentals, which are required for in-person ceremonies, are expected to go live on the website in May.  

Although exact dates and details are subject to change, the announcement is similar to other Ontario universities such as Queens University and Western University, which have also announced an intention to hold in-person celebrations. 

Denise Lee, a fourth year economics and environmental science major, said that she was relieved by the announcement of in-person graduation. “I think everybody in my position has just been waiting… Part of the reason why I took a gap year [was] to have this moment.”

However, Denise also expressed some frustration over the lack of clarity in the announcement. She said she’s “heard a lot of complaints,” specifically on a “lack of clarity during this time, specifically for international students or students who are not from Toronto.”

Matt Frola, a second-year masters in public policy student, graduated from St. Michael’s College in June of 2020, and was always disappointed that he never had an in-person convocation. “Having an in-person graduation… it’s what I’ve been looking forward to my whole life.”