U of T has announced that it will be pausing mask, vaccine, and UCheck screening requirements, effective May 1. In an email to the university community, it noted that these measures might be reinstated on short notice if conditions or guidance changes. 

The provincial mask mandate for most public places was lifted on March 21, and the vaccine requirement was lifted on March 1. U of T has kept mask and vaccine mandates for the remainder of the spring 2022 semester.  

Though these measures will no longer be mandatory after May 1, 99.6 per cent of the U of T community is fully vaccinated, and the university continues to encourage students to get fully vaccinated, receive booster shots when possible, and upload their vaccination status to UCheck. While unvaccinated students and employees will be able to participate in in-person activities starting May 1, they may be unenrolled from classes or ineligible to work should circumstances change. 

The university also recommends that community members continue to wear masks indoors, especially when in crowded areas. Community members may be required to wear masks if they have been exposed to COVID-19 or someone with symptoms, have been traveling recently, or provide a service that requires masking. 

Furthermore, the university wrote that while measures like physical distancing and masking will no longer be required, “we ask everyone to respect the decisions of others regarding these measures, according to their comfort levels and health needs.”

The university’s statement concluded by reminding community members that they should not come to campus if they are feeling unwell or have recently tested positive for COVID-19.