I became The Varsity’s news editor in late September 2022, during the fifth issue of the volume. Any doubts I harboured about being an outcast dissipated the minute I stepped into the office for my first production weekend.

Countless people helped make my transition into the role seamless and have consistently put their best foot forward for the news section. First and foremost, I have to thank Lexey Burns, Jessie Schwalb, Jadine Ngan, and Nawa Tahir — my “main news girlies” — for their unwavering support. This job has been a lot less stressful and a lot more fun while doing it alongside them. I would also be remiss if I didn’t thank everyone else who has contributed to the news section in any capacity, whom I affectionately call my “news buddies.” 

In six short months, the people at The Varsity have become some of my closest and most cherished friends. Working with them to help tell the stories that matter deeply to the U of T community has been integral in helping me grow into the person I am today. Our masthead’s dedication to producing informative, ethical, and creative content is something that will continue to inspire me for the rest of my journalism career.

I remember being in first year and thinking that being The Varsity’s news editor would be my dream job as a student journalist. I’m very honoured to now be able to say that it has indeed been an absolute dream.

— Khadija Alam, News Editor, Volume CXLIII