Code of Journalistic Ethics

The Varsity’s Code of Journalistic Ethics applies to everything we publish and to everyone who creates, edits, or approves content for publication.

Members, readers, sources, subjects, and members of the community are entitled to complain to The Varsity about any violations of the Code of Journalistic Ethics. The Varsity will investigate all complaints and, when necessary, enact appropriate remedies.

Corrections and clarifications will be posted on the articles to which they apply. Any retractions will be posted on the home page.

Please read the Code of Journalistic Ethics here.

Treatment of Members

Varsity Publications, Governance Policy, section 8 “Treatment of Members”:

With respect to interactions with members or prospective members, the EIC shall not cause or allow conditions, procedures, or decisions that are unsafe, undignified, unnecessarily intrusive, or that fail to provide appropriate confidentiality or privacy.

Furthermore, The Varsity shall offer all interested and capable members of The Varsity an opportunity to participate in all aspects of the production of its publications without regard to sex, race, culture, sexual orientation and their philosophic, religious, or political beliefs or affiliations.

Accordingly, and without limiting the generality of the foregoing, he or she shall not:

1. Deny a member the opportunity to participate in any aspect of the Corporation’s activities solely due to their sex, race, culture, sexual orientation, religion, political or philosophical beliefs or affiliations. Except where a conflict of interest exists based, as outlined in the Code of Journalistic Ethics.
  2. Use application forms that elicit information for which there is no clear necessity.
  3. Use methods of collecting, reviewing, transmitting, or storing client information that fail to protect against improper access to the material elicited.
  4. Fail to establish with consumers a clear understanding of what may be expected and what may not be expected from the service offered.
  5. Fail to inform consumers of this policy, or to provide a grievance process to those who believe they have not been accorded a reasonable interpretation of their rights under this policy.

Human Resources

All Varsity staff and potential staff are entitled to protection under The Varsity’s Human Resources Policy. The Human Resources Policy includes a Code of Conduct, complaints procedure, and appeals procedure. For more information about this policy, please contact [email protected].

Return to Board of Directors page