Tucked away amid the little shops along Queen Street West sits Kops Records, one of the oldest record stores in Toronto. Regarded as the last man standing among the record stores of Toronto’s past, the 38-year-old store stands out for having weathered the vinyl industry’s long and bitter drought with hardly a scratch to show for it. Locations such as Sam The Record Man and A&A Records both declared bankruptcy within the past 25 years and were replaced by CD shops and online downloading. Increasingly, record stores are incapable of keeping up with the rapidly changing modes of music distribution. Many record stores, not only in Toronto, shared the same fate and declared banruptcy. Somehow, perhaps even miraculously, Kops Records was spared.

For Andrew Koppel, the son of Kops Records’ founder Martin Koppel, seeing these monumental record stores being driven out of business was a bittersweet experience. Though it marked the end of an era, in some ways, Kops reaped the benefits of the change.

“The difference in the ’70s was that you had a lot more competition,” says Koppel. “You had a lot more chain stores, and my dad was an independent retailer. He was up against HMV, Tower Records, Ameba Records, Sam The Record Man, and basically any big chain store that sell CDs now that would’ve been selling vinyl then.”

While most of these companies made it increasingly difficult for a smaller store like Kops to maintain business, inexplicably, Kops survived. Major vinyl retailers found it impossible to break even and many were forced into switching over to CDs. Meanwhile, Kops Records survived the recession with nothing but a few minor hiccups.

“In the early 2000s we started pushing more towards selling clothing, to help tide us over,” Koppel explains. “We were more a unique clothing shop with accessories, but also had a healthy selection of vinyl. Luckily, we also had a bedrock of 45s, of which we have the largest collection in Canada.”

[pullquote-image]MASHAL KHAN/THE VARSITY[/pullquote-image]

45s are the equivalent of the singles that musicians release online before releasing their full album. Singles were released on smaller records, and were played at 45 rpm, compared to a regular LP’s 33 revolutions per minute. The faster the rpm, the faster the record plays through.

Nowadays, with the resurgence of vinyl, business is booming for Kops Records. “By about 2006–2007, we were making enough money on vinyl that we didn’t need to sell t-shirts anymore, so we started fading it out slowly,” says Koppel. But that does not mean that the business today doesn’t have challenges to contend with.

“Nowadays, it’s more of a challenge of having to turn people’s vinyl collection down,” explains Koppel. “Now that the vinyl popularity has come back, everybody thinks the vinyl they have is priceless.”

Despite the return of vinyl’s popularity, the question of buying records over downloading music online remains. While it is certainly easier and more convenient to download music owning off of iTunes or otherwise, there’s an argument to be made for a physical copy of the music you choose to listen to.

“I just theorize that it’s filling a void here,” suggests Koppel, contemplating the benefits of buying records rather than downloading albums. “You say to yourself, ‘Why am I paying 10 bucks for something I can just download for free?’ Whereas with vinyl, you ask ‘Why am I paying $24 for vinyl?’ Well, it’s because I get two albums, I get to put it on my turntable, I get the posters [and] the artwork that comes with it… and you can actually feel attached to it,” he says.

Kops Records continues to sell strictly vinyl at their Bloor Street West location and almost entirely vinyl at their Queen Street West location. Their dedication to keeping vinyl alive comes from their commitment to selling physical copies of albums and singles; something which has become increasingly uncommon in the digital age.

“If you are a big music fan, and you really want to feel the experience, forget the argument about how [records are] warmer or sound nicer,” says Koppel, adding, “It’s not necessarily about that, it’s about being a part of it.”

In recent years, Toronto’s record scene has been stepping up its game. Despite the loss of hometown favourites like Sam the Record Man and Criminal Records, there are new stores and expansions opening left and right for the record enthusiast.

A Guide to Toronto’s Record Stores

FINDING A PLAYER

Records are an expensive love. That is not to say that you can’t enjoy records cheaply — just that it is extremely difficult to do so. Some of us will get lucky and find a dusty record player tucked away in our parents’ basement, but for those contemplating purchasing one of their own, you will likely want to give it some thought.

If you decide to commit, buying the right record player is key. The decision depends largely on why you want the record player and how much you’re willing to spend. In theory, we would all like to spend $1,300 on a sound system that brings the band to your living room — but that is a beautiful but unrealistic dream for most of us. So, if you’re looking to start, the best advice you will ever get about record players is through people. Not the internet — actual humans. If you’re serious about getting a player, go to Bay Bloor Radio, Planet of Sound, or really just any record store — they know what they’re doing.

THE RUNDOWN

With so many record shops in the city and more opening each year, navigating the options available to you can be daunting. Each shop has its own atmosphere and specialty and are as individual as the people who shop in them. Though big retailers like HMV, Urban Outfitters, and Amazon can be tempting for their familiarity and accessibility — and in the case of the former two, a good record selection — exploring the smaller, independent names can create a different experience and lead to some remarkable finds.

Kops Records
Kops has been in the business for years, and they know their stuff. The people here are vibrant and the atmosphere is comfortable making their two locations particularly ideal for those just beginning their relationship with records.

Their prices average out to approximately $25 per record.

Their specialties are their bins of one-dollar records and excellent vintage collections. If you’re looking for any independent records, sometimes you’ll find old-time favourites at their lowest price in Toronto here.

Cosmo Records
Cosmo’s prices range, on average, from $10 to $30. That being said, you can also find a $60 copy of Highway 61 Revisted. Their prices are all over the board. Their Queen Street West location is a small store with bins everywhere. If you’re looking for an impulsive buy or a rarity, this is the place for you.

Planet of Sound
This boutique-sized shop is hit-and-miss. Their records are priced relatively reasonably at $25 each, and though the size of their selection is rather dismal compared to their competition, it is eclectic — if you’re looking for rarer Animal Collective records, this is your place.

Their shining glory, however, is the sound systems they have available in-store. They stock some of the best record players out there and are a good source of information if you’re looking to invest in one.

Sonic Boom

[pullquote-image]Sonic Boom-Mallika Makkar-2[/pullquote-image]
This former Annex staple is now located just off of Queen Street West and Spadina Avenue and, to the rejoicing of Sonic Boom aficionados, the vibe is pretty much the same.

Records cost an average of $25 each. Their impressive collection makes them a great spot for holiday shopping.

They are arguably also the master of Toronto in-store performances. They have had many great local artists play in the shop such as Mac Demarco, Broken Social Scene, The Wooden Sky, and Luke Lalonde from Born Ruffians.

Tiny Record Shop
Record shops are a bit of a rarity in the city’s east end, making Tiny Record Shop a small but welcome addition. The prices are average (approximately $25 per) and it has a great selection from local record labels.

Discovery Records
Another east end stop that offers considerably varied prices. They have an older vibe, and the smell of vinyl in this joint permeates everything: it’s glorious. Discovery Records has a great selection of collectibles and rarities. It’s off the beaten track as far as record stores go, and its location means you may have better luck with finding original pressings here.

Grasshopper Records
Located at Dundas Street West and Ossington Avenue, this spot boasts what is arguably the best collection of rap records in the city, making it an essential stop for lovers of the genre. The prices are on par with other shops in the city at an average of $25 per record.

LP’S LPS
The new Roncesvalles location, although harder to find than their former Ossington Street home, is bigger and better. This is not your usual record store collection — if you’re looking for specific titles of independent artists, you may not find them here. What you will discover, however, are underrated finds for anyone looking for something new and different.