A crowd of approximately thirty showed their appreciation for capitalism on Sunday by marching through Toronto’s financial district toting signs stating “Proud to Trade” and “I [heart] big business.”

Several members of the University of Toronto’s Objectivist Club were in on the action. The event was part of an apparent worldwide celebration of capitalism, which included similar marches in 102 cities around the world.

“This walk is meant to celebrate capitalism, its achievements and progress,” said Ray Girn, a prominent member of the U of T Objectivist Club. Objectivists follow the teachings of capitalist icon Ayn Rand.

Girn insisted that anyone upholding capitalist beliefs was welcome to demonstrate. When asked if native people, who have recently been derided by the Objectivist Club’s newspaper, were welcome, Girn was adamant.

“Most native people do not embrace the ideals of capitalism. If they did, they would be welcome here,” he said.

A handful of unidentified hecklers, dressed in black and masked by bandanas, attempted unsuccessfully to disrupt speeches leading up to the walk. One was arrested, and others were questioned by police.

The pro-capitalist demonstrators marched to a Starbucks coffee shop where they attempted unsuccessfully to distribute flyers and blue ribbons, signifying capitalist achievement. Starbucks employees told them to leave. The demonstrators then proceeded to the American consulate, where they held forth more blue ribbons, which were eventually pocketed upon departure.

Photograph by Simon Turnbull