In the Heart of the Sea:
The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex
By Nathaniel Philbrick

Just when you think life couldn’t be a bigger shit parade, something comes along and gives you a drop-kick reminder that things could be much, much worse. Nathaniel Philbrick’s account of the ill-fated whalship Essex is just such a reminder. In 1819, after months of sailing from Nantucket, the 238-ton Essex was far off the western coast of South America when it was attacked and rammed by a sperm whale. The unprecedented whale attack left twenty sailors stunned—and without a ship. With only three rowboats and limited rations, the ungodly tale of how the remaining eight survived a three-thousand-mile journey is a lurid description of cannibalism and depravity. After a few weeks, there was no food and little water. Hunger and thirst became all-consuming. Some eventually lost their sanity and resorted to cannibalism. When discovered in his lifeboat, the Essex’s captain was obliviously sucking the bone marrow out of a crew member’s limb.

Needless to say, this book is a nice wake-up call for those of us lucky enough to just be depressed or lonely or whatever. At least we’re not munching on our co-workers, facing the limits of human survival. It just makes the glass seems half full, ya know?

Stay up to date. Sign up for our weekly newsletter, sent straight to your inbox:

* indicates required