The second annual University and College Squash Championship, hosted by Squash Canada, was held at the Athletic Centre last weekend. Boasting some of the top university squash players in the country, this is the only national university competition available for student squash players in Canada.

“We were really pleased to be able to host it here,” said University of Toronto head coach Dave Cooper.

Cooper hopes that with more events held locally, he will be able to increase squash awareness within the university community. In fact, many of Cooper’s recruiting efforts center around engaging new squash players.

“A lot of the junior squash players lose interest when they come to university. But squash is such a good sport for so many reasons. You are really never too old to play.”

For this reason, the weekend’s championship also held competitions in B and C divisions for intermediate and beginner squash players to get a taste of recreational squash.

Players from across the country came to enjoy the competitive atmosphere and get a taste for squash tournaments.

However, the tournament meant even more to the A Division competitors. These athletes had their only opportunity to qualify for the World University Games in Austria this weekend. The winners of the male and female division qualify.

The rest of the Canadian team will be determined by Squash Canada based on performances throughout the season.

In addition to the winners of this tournament, Squash Canada will select two males and one female to attend the games.

“This was a fantastic tournament,” beamed female champion Christie Leibel, from the University of Calgary.

“It was great to be able to compete with people from across the country. I’m hoping we can put more tournaments like this together. Hopefully next time we’ll see you [people from eastern Canada] at a competition out West.”

Men’s champion Rob Nigro, from the University of Western Ontario, also praised the tournament.

“Western also competes against the Ivy League schools in the States and those tournaments are always fun,” admitted Nigro. “But this tournament was more important to me.”

On the women’s side, there were three Blues competitors in the open division, only one of whom, Julie Hamilton, advanced to the second round.

There she lost to eventual champion Leibel. In the men’s competition, the sole Blues competitor was eliminated in the first round.

Cooper admits he was slightly disappointed with his team’s performance overall this year.

“I had hoped to win OUAs,” he acknowledged, “but silver is not so bad.”

Going into next year, Cooper hopes to accomplish some good recruiting and see some new faces on the squash courts.