A rave paid for with $20,000 of student money was an unparalleled success, according to everyone who attended. Unfortunately, “everyone who attended” added up to only 500 people.

That left 1,000 tickets unsold—and left some students wondering about the planning and utility of Student Administrative Council’s (SAC) Optic Biosphere.

“U of T students deserve better than this, for all the money that’s being spent, and all the effort that’s gone into this,” said third-year history student Noel Semple.

However, some, like third-year economics student and SAC director Matthew Curtis, loved the event.

“SAC is an invaluable institution on our campus, and I believe that this is such an important service that they can provide to us, who pay so much into this University of Toronto institution,” said Curtis. “I’m having a great time.”

SAC collects fees from and represents 33,000 full-time undergraduate students at U of T. According to SAC’s promotions commissioner, the high cost of the event comes from having to find a venue suitable for live music, food, alcohol, noise and capacity for more than 1,000. But the problems in finding such a venue, and the fact that only a small percentage of students participate, leave some wondering if SAC should just leave off-campus entertainment to private establishments around town.

“I’d like to see something, if it’s going to occur, that’s going to provide a solid value for U of T students, something that they can all enjoy and participate in collectively,” said Semple.

Marketing of the event was certainly a concern, given the low turnout, and while cost of admission was only $10, drinks and transportation added up.

“I’m holding a drink that cost me $7.50… I also paid 10 bucks to get in here,” said Curtis.

Another obstacle to student administration-held events is student apathy towards them. Curtis continues, “U of T has always had difficulty trying to get people involved. Hopefully, with the SAC elections coming up, we’re going to see…someone who can harness students, so that they can get involved, and feel that their student government really represents them.”