Student leaders opposed to the new Varsity Centre student levy filed a formal complaint against the group which is campaigning for the levy-funded sports facility.

The actions of the “Yes” side were “a violation of the spirit and principles of an open and honest campaign,” according to the “No Committee,” which consists of members from the Graduate Students Union (GSU) and the Association of Part-time Undergraduate Students (APUS).

The referendum, which will be conducted by mail-in ballot later this month, will determine if students want to partially cover the costs of a new stadium, ice rink, athletic centre and residence.

In their complaint to the Varsity Centre Referendum Conduct Committee, they said the “Yes” side had hired paid campaign staff in January and distributed posters and campaigned in the AC in February, even though the campaign only officially began March 1.

They also say the Yes Committee has more resources than the No side and some of the members of the Conduct Committee are in conflict of interest position.

They also gave the No side $6,700 to hire temporary campaign staff.

Jorge Sousa, president of the GSU and member of the “No Committee’, expressed his frustration with the ruling. “I’m not surprised, but absolutely disappointed…I think it’s a cop-out.”

While admitting he was glad to receive some funding, Sousa said, “Just the fact that we had to fight for it, that’s pathetic.”

The Yes supporters are more supportive of the ruling.

“I think the ruling stands on its own merit,” said Joan Griffin from the Faculty of Physical Education. “[The No side] has the resources that are available to them. They have staff people as well,” said Griffin.

She says the allegations of pre-campaigning are not valid because the No committee had the opportunity to organize at town hall meetings that have been taking place since January.

The committee also dismissed a complaint that the university was unfairly using access to Internet resources, such as a mass email sent by president Robert Birgeneau in support of the levy to all student groups.

“My understanding is that both organizations have university resources for their web-sites through campus life,” said Griffin.

“I ask for your support, to enable us to build this much-needed new facility for students,” wrote Birgeneau.

His letter outlined reasons why U of T needs the new centre, as well as where the funding will come from, in addition to the student levy.

However, Sousa calls this another example of the university intervening where it should not be, and promised the GSU will “respond accordingly.”

Andrew Lefoley, another campaigner for the Yes side, says the allegations of conflict of interest were “facile.”

“What they are trying to do is mar the process,” he said. “I take it as a compliment. Marring the process is the last gasp of a desperate campaign.”

But GSU representatives say the issue remains fairness. GSU representative Elan Ohayon drew a parallel to sport, saying the situation was like one side having too many players on the field and getting a major jump on the starting gun.

“Referendums should first and foremost be coming from the students, but at the very least, there should be equal chance for both sides to represent their view,” he said.

Ballots are mailed to all U of T students on March 18 and have to be mailed back to the university.