If Toronto’s York University wants to improve its relations with the Jane-Finch community, it will first have to overcome resentment of what community residents say is endemic racism in the public education system.

In a forum held on March 7 by members of York’s Faculty Association and the Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT), panelists and audience members rose one after another to denounce the education system’s indifference to the needs of non-white students.

Parents, teachers and students claimed government cuts to education funding have resulted in outdated textbooks for poorer schools as well as post-secondary tuition that is too high for poorer families, disproportionately affecting black students.

Moderator Paul Riley, a student at U of T’s law school, was among those who recently lodged a complaint with the Ontario Human Rights Commission against the school on the grounds that its recent tuition hike to $22, 000 per year discriminates against black students.

Money wasn’t the only complaint. Activist Cheryl Prescod described being encouraged to take basic courses in high school, since university-stream courses would likely be “too hard” for her—an experience shared by other black speakers.

Lawyer Roger Rowe said the Safe Schools Act, which allows for suspensions or expulsions at the discretion of teachers and principals, is often used to target black students, who then fall behind in school. He added that police have become “the first resort, not the last” when it comes to disciplining students.

The general consensus was that York—which activist Lennox Farrell says is currently an “absentee resident” of the community—could do much to help students overcome these obstacles. Suggestions ranged from more grants and scholarships for local students to expanding access to the university’s libraries and reducing the physical isolation of the campus.

Kevin Jacobs, a teacher at Firgrove Public School, said increased exposure to the university environment would lead more students to see post-secondary education as a real option.

Cim Nunn, York’s director of media and public relations, countered by pointing to York’s numerous ongoing projects in the community. These include summer internships for local students in York labs and libraries, a summer camp in the neighbourhood, and the Future Teachers Program, in which students are mentored by Westview alumni.

He added, “There’s a very conscious effort on the part of this university to be good neighbours with the people we live next to.”

New lecture series tackles discrimination

Taking aim at “the conservative mindset of U of T” a campus club has launched the first of many lectures tackling systemic discrimination and intolerance at U of T and beyond.

Although the 15 people who attended the first speech last week are probably not enough to accomplish those lofty goals, Students Against Racism and Brutality president Paul Salvatori is pleased with the development of the year-old group and looks forward to the future.
The lecture began with an account of issues of reparations for slavery at the Durban conference, by political science major Harini Sivalingam, who attended the event. Salvatori, a political science and philosophy major, then delivered an insightful presentation on Malcolm X, followed by a lively question period. Salvatori is hoping more students get involved in the group and upcoming lectures. Interested parties should contact [email protected].

—Jen Little