The committee opposing construction of the proposed Varsity Centre met on Tuesday to suggest alternatives to the multi-million dollar project.

“We do support some sort of Varsity Centre model, just not this one,” said committee member John Alexander. “We need a vision…housing doesn’t need to be tied to this white elephant called the Varsity Centre.”

The “No” Committee was formally established to encourage students to vote against the eventual $70 levy in a university-wide referendum early next month. But the committee doesn’t want to simply oppose the Varsity Centre—they want to give the plan a radical, community-centred facelift.

Alternative plans for the Centre tentatively include affordable housing for part-time and mature students and families, a greenhouse, community kitchen and garden, daycare, cultural and multi-faith space and social services. “Instead of stores [facing Bloor Street] why not have med students there doing contact with the community, or law students providing free clinics? There are a lot of possibilities,” said Elan Ohayon, a coordinator for the group.

While it is unlikely that every wish on their list would be granted, the “No” Committee knows from experience that student groups have altered the decisions of the university administration. In 1998, a proposal to turn Varsity Stadium into a hotel development was halted partly by action by the student unions. “The moral of the story is to bring an alternative vision to the table,” said Ohayon.

The “No” Committee says the funds are there for an alternative project if only the university will dig deep enough.

The U of T has committed $14.1 million to the project already, and the “No” campaign says there are more creative ways to raise the rest of the cost than levying students, such as funding sources like the Academic Priority Fund, SuperBuild money through the province, and a boost from the Municipality of Toronto.

“This university is filthy rich,” said Alexander. “There’s a more responsible way to do this.”