Students at U of T’s Mississauga campus often feel neglected by the downtown campus, and last Wednesday, candidates for the Students’ Administrative Council (SAC) executive didn’t exactly smooth things over.

Running for the top undergraduate student leader positions, Rocco Kusi-Achampong and Noel Semple, along with their executive staffs, tried to tap the commuter campus vote, but the event quickly descendedinto confused mud-slinging.

“We don’t know all the issues at UTM,” said Kelly Smith, Take Back SAC vice-president of operations candidate. “But we’re trying to learn.”

Kusi-Achampong said he has been in touch with UTM students through recently acclaimed SAC UTM director Mohammed Hashim.

Rocco addressed the recent decision to create a new levy at UTM for a new athletic facility.

“A $100 athletic fee was imposed without consulting the students. They know that UTM students are divided and apathetic,” said Kusi-Achampong, noting it happened “without referendum and without being consulted.”

“I’m for capital development, but that’s undemocratic.”

Semple refuted Rocco’s assertion that students at UTM are apathetic. “I was at the Naomi Klein event and it was a packed auditorium, so students are not apathetic.”

Back in November 2001, a lecture featuring activist Naomi Klein was held at UTM and attracted numerous students.

One UTM student commented that both parties were misinformed about the athletic centre.

The motion to pass the construction of the new athletic facility actually did go to referendum. Kusi-Achampong replied, “I spoke with Mohammed Hashim. Mohammed Hashim is my source.”

Also present at the forum was UTM Athletic Council president Ian Hazlewood. Hazlewood is a board member of the new UTM athletic facility student user committee.

“The fee is actually $150,” corrected Hazlewood.

“We had town-hall meeting. We did not want to see the fee go up that high. But we are getting no government funding.”

“You are biased because you’re on the board,” said Kusi-Achampong.

“If the students don’t vote yes or no, then I’m not for it.”