A new University College residence on St. George St. could be built by September 2004, and U.C. hopes there will be “a shovel in the ground” by May of next year.

Currently, U.C. has the worst track record of meeting student demand for residency compared to other colleges. U.C. can only house 11 per cent of its students, while Trinity College can house 36 per cent and St. Mike’s 24 per cent.

“There are multiple reasons why [we can’t expand] but the main one is that we’re landlocked,” said Paul Perron, University College’s principal. Because the university has to abide by the city’s zoning laws, the green spaces on campus are safeguarded and only certain areas of campus can accommodate construction.

The chosen site is north of Sir Daniel Wilson Hall, in a small parking lot next to the Howard Ferguson dining hall. The proposed building—which has received City of Toronto approval—is expected to house about 330 students.

“[The zoning laws were implemented] for all kinds of good reasons. However, they did not take into account the kind of dramatic growth in the number of students that were coming to the university system of Ontario nor the U of T,” said Perron.

Initially, a 350-bed residence was to be built behind Sir Daniel Wilson Hall, which would have allowed U.C. to house 21 to 22 per cent of its population, according to Perron.

But that proposal was rescinded due to conflict with the municipal government, amid concerns that the proposed building would compromise green space used by the whole campus.

About a month ago, architects Zeidler Grinnell Partnership were selected to design the residence and began to work with U.C. in consultation with the city. Unless the construction process is stalled by U.C.’s College Council, the Academic Board or the Governing Council, the project should be finished by September 2004.

Since the provincial government does not subsidize student housing, the college will have to mount a fundraising campaign. Each year of delay will cost the university a large sum of money from its general funds and “at the same time will inconvenience students. We cannot build a community if we don’t have a proper residence,” said Perron.

“For only 11 per cent accommodated space, I think U.C. could match the other colleges better. If you’re a first-year student, residence life is important, especially at U of T,” said Pamela Barker, who lived at Whitney Hall for three years. “It’s hard to meet people who will say ‘Hey! Let’s go for coffee’ after class. But this is my theory. Rez life connects you to the school, especially within the community.”