The Students’ Administrative Council (SAC) will spend $210,000 on a series of events to promote the 101st anniversary of the U of T’s student government.

Their goal: to eliminate student apathy on all three campuses.

“SAC is not a terrible organization. It may have had poor leadership but we’re trying to curb that… We want a pro-student approach to SAC, which I want realized this year,” said Kusi-Achampong. “By the time we leave this office, we will have made ourselves visible.”

“After the election, we were really struck by the few who actually voted. It really said something about the apathy that exists here,” said John Lea, SAC’s vice-president of operations. “There are some serious decisions that are made and the large part of the electorate is left out because they’re uninformed and apathetic.”

The celebrations will be co-ordinated with the ongoing events commemorating the 175th anniversary of the University of Toronto.

A black tie dinner for 300 present SAC members, SAC alumni, and U of T administration is planned in December.

“We wanted to celebrate SAC’s achievements today, as well as those who used SAC as a stepping stone to greater things, and the administration,” Kusi-Achampong said.

SAC will also produce a booklet outlining a brief history of the organization. Every full-time undergraduate is slated to receive a copy.

SAC 101 kicks off September 20 with an outdoor party featuring live performances on the St. George campus. “The details of the performances are still to be determined,” Kusi-Achampong said.

Awareness weeks will be held on every campus with posters promoting SAC’s history and “the relevance of the campus life experience,” according to the project plans.

According to Lea, all funding for SAC 101 will come from alumni and corporate sponsorship, as well as money from the administration.

“No money is coming out of the general (SAC) account,” Kusi-Achampong said.