A new U of T Passport program aims to encourage first-year students to participate in a vast array of activities on campus where they can meet other freshmen and merge into campus life, said coordinator Deanne Fisher.

“This was the first year we had ever tried something like this but we do know that there’s a core contingent and a lot of students are actively collecting stamps in their passport,” Fisher said, adding that they particularly wanted to encourage commuter students, who may need that extra push to make their university experience more than just an academic venture.

This is how it works: All students starting this past September received their passport booklet in a vinyl holder along with their student card. There are 17 spaces which are stamped for participating in activities ranging from sporting events to art exhibits and almost any club or organization is qualified as “stamp-worthy.”

Upon completion of their passport, students are rewarded for their efforts with a letter of recognition, free textbooks, CDs and other valuable gifts. On Nov. 16, 260 students involved in the program had the opportunity to attend a Toronto Symphony Orchestra concert at Roy Thomson Hall and this counted toward their social studies quota in their booklets.

Among the various sponsors, the Alumni Association has agreed to donate $5 to the U of T Food Bank for every student who completes their passport. But often the undergrads find that being involved in the vibrant campus milieu is a reward in itself.

“If it hadn’t been for the passport program, I don’t think that I would have had so many opportunities to meet new people and volunteer for great causes,” said Erica Malik, a first-year student aiming for medical school.

“It’s definitely worthwhile,” echoed Nader Mehboob, who wants to go into commerce. “It gets people who would otherwise be buried in their books to get involved in the social life of the school.”

“I appreciate that there’s tremendous pressure being at U of T first year,” Fisher said, “but there’s a lot of research that shows that a good balance of other activities can actually help you keep your grades up. It makes you a little better at time management… besides, nobody can study that much and retain it all!”

Participants have until the end of the academic year to complete their necessary stamps and, based on the outcome this year, the coordinators will decide whether or not to follow through on the program for the double cohort year and whether to open it up to senior students as well.