Men’s Lacrosse: Bishop’s 15, U of T 8

Despite ending in a loss, Saturday afternoon’s season opener for the men’s lacrosse team wasn’t a disappointment for the Blues’ coaches.
After scoring first, the Blues lost the lead to the more experienced Bishop’s Gaiters. By halftime, the Blues were behind six points, for a score of 9-3.

But the initial promise returned in the third quarter, when the Blues out-scored the Gaiters 4-1, and brought the game back to within two points, causing the frustrated Bishop’s goalie to give an angry cross check to his net.

“It was a good effort all around,” said coach Fraser Firth of the team’s play. Tyler Davies, another coach, pointed out his team had just a week of practice under their belt, while Bishop’s, who play throughout the year, are in mid-season form.

Making his lacrosse debut, Brendan Ritchie shone as an attacker, netting four goals. Blues goalie Eric Scott, another first time player, looked impressive handling the pressure in his end, despite being used to playing in hockey and not lacrosse nets.

Though trailing again by the final quarter, Davies repeated his optimism for the rest of the season, saying the match was a good chance for his athletes to get that crucial game-time experience.

-Amanda Olson