One of Canada’s most prominent clerics, who has been in the public eye for his handling of controversies related to same-sex unions, has been appointed to a new position at U of T’s Toronto School of Theology.

Archbishop Michael Peers, the outgoing Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada, will take office as the school’s first ecumenist-in-residence on July 1, and serve for one year.

Dr. Peers will serve in a variety of roles, being a guest lecturer, providing advice and support to students, and being available as a resource on the topic of ecumenism. Although “ecumenism” refers to a belief in the unity of Christian denominations and support for close relations amongst them, he will have no particular responsibility for relations amongst the different denominational colleges that make up TST.

Dr. Peers has attracted attention beyond Anglican circles in recent years for his handling of the controversial decision by the Bishop of New Westminster, Michael Ingham, to allow clergy to bless same-sex unions. Dr. Peers has consistently tried to preserve the unity of the Anglican Church, which is divided on the issue, by supporting compromises and the delaying of decisions on the question. He has said himself that he favours the recognition of same-sex unions, but prefers civil unions to gay marriage.

Dr. Peers has had a long and distinguished career in the Anglican Church. He was ordained as a priest in 1960, after receiving his Licentiate in Theology from U of T’s Trinity College. He has held posts in Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Regina. He was elected Primate, the highest position in the Anglican Church in Canada, in 1986, and will retire from that position on Feb. 1.

Christopher Lind, director of the Toronto School of Theology, cited Dr. Peers’s long experience in the Church, and especially his work with other Christian denominations, as strong qualifications for the position. “His experience is an enormous resource that we want to make available,” said Dr. Lind. Dr. Peers has worked extensively with the World Council of Churches, especially with Orthodox churches in eastern Europe. As Primate, he was one of the driving forces behind the documents of shared ministry between the Anglican Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, by which the two churches recognize each other’s clergy. He is fluent in French, German and Russian.

Dr. Lind said that a resident ecumenist was especially important for the School of Theology because of its nature as an association of theological colleges from different denominations: “One of the special mandates of the TST is to promote ecumenism.” He believes that having the position will keep needed attention on ecumenical issues: “Every denomination, at some point in its life, needs an advocate for the larger mission of the church.”

Although he will mainly work within the TST, it will be possible for instructors of Arts and Science classes to invite Dr. Peers as a guest lecturer in his areas of expertise.