This is part two of The Varsity’s look at the roster of candidates for the main positions up for grabs in this year’s SAC election. Students can vote on the online service ROSI until March 18. Part one of this guide appeared in the March 9 issue of The Varsity.

VP University Affairs

Howard Tam, fifth year Computer Science

Previous experience: Howard is the current VP University Affairs, and is trying to get re-elected. Also SAC director of engineering, former chair of the Institute of Electrical and Electronical Engineering.

Platform: Continue to champion a St. George student centre, complete and implement the Campus Green House Gas Reduction Plan, starting a SAC-run café offering different foods such as falafels and samosas and Fair Trade coffee at cost. Also, lower parking fees for the suburban campuses, accountability for ancilliary fees, more 24 hour study space and more student involvement in the White Papers.

Why Should we vote for you? I have lots of experience, been in the job already and know how to get things done. I know how SAC and the Governing Council work, and have also been an effective student leader in many facets for the past 4 years. My connections: I work well with Admin and faculty, know them well, and can get things that students want. My dedication: hard worker, typically put in 60 hours a week this year at SAC; you will get the best bang for your student buck. My vision: my platform as listed above is pretty comprehensive and active. It is also a platform that I confidently feel can be fully accomplished next year, especially since I’ve done this before and I know how long it takes to do most of it.

Outside interests/affiliations: reading, music, baseball, basketball, technology and computers.

Johanna Herman, fourth year Art History specialist

Previous Experience: Executive member of student group Hillel, associate producer, UC Follies (plus producer this year), active in SAC through External Commission.

Platform: “Fostering a positive relationship with College and Faculty Councils is instrumental in determining the needs of students in those constituencies. I will also be a strong voice to all Administrative and Academic councils including the Governing Council, the highest decision making body at the Univeristy of Toronto. Personal help with petitions and appeals will also be provided, as I believe that students should be judged fairly.” Also, setting up online purchasing for student metropasses and reducing the price even further.

Why we should vote for you? “I will be a strong voice for students, and take every opportunity to voice your concerns. I plan on accomplishing this by initiating contact with our College, Faculty and Residence Councils, and being a responsive voice to their concerns. My enthusiasm and abilities will reinvigorate the University Affairs commission, because the tired old ways aren’t working. I look forward to your support.”

Outside interests/affiliations: art, politics, volunteering at a hospital that performs free cardiac surgery for underprivileged kids.

VP Student Life

Danielle King, third year Political Science and Criminology

Previous Experience: President, Alpha Gamma Delta women’s fraternity.

Platform: “Over the last three years at U of T I have found the leadership of SAC to be highly ineffective. Student government has the potential to be a powerful vehicle at this school yet this power has often been misdirected and in some cases abused. If I am elected to SAC I will ensure that VP Student Life addresses the needs of the student organizations and clubs on all three campuses. I will also make sure that club funding is increased and properly allocated. Our diverse range of clubs will also be recognized for their many achievements. We should be proud of the eclectic nature of our student life and acknowledge it on a regular basis.

Finally I am against the building of a student centre funded by a tuition levy. If elected VP Student Life I will make sure campus space is used more efficiently through proper scheduling and will fight for the allocation of more building space for club offices and meeting rooms.”

Why should we vote for you? I strongly believe in setting realistic goals for what can be achieved over the next year and am committed to accomplishing these goals. I am not a professional student politician and will not make false promises. I simply believe in doing what is right for the student body and getting the job done.

Outside interests/affiliations: Intramural water polo and softball, Trinity Pre-Law Society, co-ordinator for local rec centre.

Dylan Rae, fourth year History and Political Science

Previous Experience: Current VP Student Life, SAC orientation co-ordinator last summer.

Platform: “If re-elected I will further increase the clubs funding budget by 25 per cent. I will continue to provide a strong and responsive voice for all our 308 clubs and societies on SAC.”

Why should we vote for you? “I am running on my proven track record. This year I fulfilled my promise to increase the clubs budget by over $10,000 and if re-elected promise to further increases it by 25 per cent. This year I ran the largest orientation in SAC history. I am also the only candidate that understands the issues facing our suburban campuses, as I proudly represented UTSC as a SAC rep and deputy commissioner last year. I am an active member of a number of campus clubs, which has allowed me to gain insight into what the clubs need from their Student Council.”

Outside interests/affiliations: hockey, baseball, local Markham politics.

Jason Young, third year Political Science

Previous Experience: founder, Canadian Asian Student Society, owner of nightclub promotional company Fuel Productions.

Platform: “To create a massive network so deep into the student body like no one has ever done before. With this network, I will be able to establish a more intimate relationship between SAC and the student body, and shape a new and improved image of student life at U of T.”

Why should we vote for you? “Through all my previous experiences, I have developed strong skills in the promotion of events by bringing students together. (Whatever Dylan can do, I can do it better. And also because I’m better looking.)”

Outside interests/affiliations: Creating the UNITY fraternity, Playstation 2, Marijuana Party of Canada, “excessive drinking and partying. And of course, sex.”

VP Equity

Calvin Yang, third year Commerce

Previous Experience: Marketing director, Chinese Undergraduate Association.

Platform: Student-run cafeteria with cheaper meals and more student jobs, audio-taped lectures for disabled students, bike shelters to prevent thefts, promotion of job opportunities for ALL students, including international students and new scholarship program for highly improved students.

Why should we vote for you? Most of my platform comes out through my experience at U of T. As a proud member of this community, I want to make a change to our home campuses. Vote for me if you believe this platform is achievable.

Outside interests/affiliations: no response

Julia Munk, third year student

Previous Experience: Current VP Equity, organizer of the Breaking Down Barriers conference, first disability issues conference in Canada.

Platform: Continue working towards accessibility on campus, work towards a multi-faith centre, get women more involved in student life on campus, help to create more Positive Space and work on OSAP reforms to allow access for aboriginal students and others affected by financial barriers.

Why should we vote for you? “I have the practical, hands-on experience and the theoretical background to continue to promote equity and diversity on campus.”

Outside interests/affiliations: Founder, Students for Barrier-free Access, contributor to Sex on Wheels journal, organizer of Equity Jam concert.

Shakir Haq, second year South Asian Studies and Human Biology

Previous Experience: None.

Platform: Assure that issues important to students and student groups are addressed, not only issues that SAC recommends as relevant, increase communication to bring the various U of T communities closer together and create a support network between groups, and create bursaries for individuals who contribute to U of T through extra-curricular involvement.

Why should we vote for you? “I have no experience in politics and often was a sceptic of student government. This is definitely a strength for me, as I do not understand nor participate in the ‘political games’ that are so often publicized during elections and while in office.” Also, “I am extremely approachable and give everyone an equal opportunity to express their views to me. Because of this, and the way I feel Equity should be run, I naturally foster an environment where those who may have been previously too shy or ashamed to express their views, can have their voices heard.”

Outside interests/affiliations: Hart House Theatre of Dance, UC Follies, Pakistani Students Association, Muslim Students Association, South Asian Alliance, Marginalia editor-in-chief.

VP Operations

Jason Chung, fourth year Commerce

Previous experience: Director of Finance, Korean Canadian University of Toronto Students Association, executive, Undergraduate Finance Association.

Platform: “We need a student centre. We need 24-hour study space on all three campuses. We need to address the growing costs of attending U of T. We need to press for a cheaper TTC Metropass. But perhaps most importantly, we need to address the apathy and alienation on campus. We need to build a real feeling of community and pride in our school. SAC has such great potential to be a unifying force on campus, but for that to happen, SAC needs to change.”

Why should we vote for you? “I want to make SAC accountable to the students. As Vice President of Operations, my first priority will be to create a continuously updated Web site that will track spending. SAC’s 2003-2004 budget estimated almost $2.9 million dollars in spending, not including costs relating to the health and dental insurance plan. Online tracking of spending will help SAC to allocate spending in an effective way that reaches out to all students. Many students just don’t feel connected with SAC. This is a simple communication problem, and can be solved by SAC executives making classroom announcements to keep everyone informed of what’s going on on campus and what events SAC is hosting.”

Outside interests/affiliations: hockey, basketball, volleyball, floorball at the AC, partying and clubbing.

Lisa Aldridge, fourth year Political Science

Previous experience: Student rep, University Affairs Board of Governing Council, chief financial officer and deputy station manager VIBE radio, former deputy external commissioner SAC.

Platform: Create new SAC services: a permanent used textbook store, student-run café and computer swap shop. Improve financial services: add more book bursaries, increase club funding and offer budget clinics for students. Improve suburban campus services: increase 24 hour study space, lobby for parking rate freeze and lower cost of food on campus.

Why should we vote for you? “In a word, experience…This year I successfully ran VIBE-sponsored frosh week events, organized the training process of more than 50 DJ’s, re-invested in new equipment and produced a substantial budget surplus. Lastly, I will work towards making SAC more accountable and accessible to students. I’m interested in what students have to say and I am dedicated to ‘getting the job done.'”

Outside interests/affiliations: DJing, rock-climbing, comedy, literature, sailing, horseback riding, 1980’s cartoons and Medieval Times.

Compiled by Ryan Kennedy, Bronwyn Kienapple, Ian Ha and Feon Chau.