Engineering Faculty announces Scholarship in memory of Andrew Frow

U of T announced last week that it was going to establish a scholarship in the name of Andrew Frow, the third-year engineering student who died August 12 when the U of T solar car he was driving crashed outside Kitchener, Ontario.

The U of T Engineering Society has made a $50,000 donation to the university, which will be used to inaugurate the Andrew Frow Engineering Society Leadership Award. Students in years two, three, and four of the Applied Science and Engineering Faculty will be eligible to apply for the scholarship. The award will be based on financial need, demonstrated leadership, and involvement in extracurricular activities.

More than 100 additional donations have added a further $15,000 to the scholarship fund. The Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering has received messages of condolence from around the world since Frow’s death, which shocked the global community of solar car teams.

“Andrew was a very involved student and we want the award to reflect that spirit,” said Don McAuslan, vice-president of finance for the Engineering Society. “We hope that this award will be something positive that will come out of this tragedy.”

-GFS

Big Shoes to Shill-Bata gets McD’s supersized Sneakers

Shoe baroness and museum-founder Sonja Bata was on hand on September 8 to welcome the newest arrivals to the Bata Shoe Museum, the massive red sneakers worn by McDonald’s spokesclown Ronald McDonald.

The size 29, triple-E width shoes were autographed by Mr. McDonald, the fast-food company’s “Chief Happiness Officer,” and will be displayed in the museum’s “Walk of Fame.” The display also features a pair of John Lennon’s “Beatle Boots” and a pair of platform shoes worn by Sir Elton John.

-GFS