MONTRÉAL (CUP) — A McGill University student union executive was hit in the face with a shaving cream pie at a student council meeting Nov. 18.

Daniel Friedlaender, who was presenting a report at the time, got a face full of cream from a cleverly disguised assailant, who was angered by the vice-president’s position tuition fees be pegged to inflation.

The bottom of the plate was emblazoned with the words Don’t Let Our Tuition Increase, and was signed by “Les entartistes de McGill.”

The assailant has been identified as former student union arts representative Lazar Konforti.

Student councillors were quick to denounce the act, passing a resolution expressing their disgust before Friedlaender could even clean the cream from his face.

“It’s an unfortunate and immature way to deal with differences of opinion,” said acting president Andrew Bryan.

“Pie throwing is a legitimate form of political protest. It’s a way to tell politicians that what they’re doing is dangerously silly,” Konforti said.

Friedlaender charged guerrilla pie throwers do nothing to further debate on important issues.

“I’m puzzled and disappointed by this. It’s certainly not how you start a dialogue,” he said.

“There are many ways to express discontent and there are many ways to address the issue. One of them is throwing a pie,” Konforti said.

Friedlaender does not intend to press charges against the pie-wielding assailant.

“On principle, I’d love to (press charges), but I don’t know if it would do anything.”

-Adam Verwymeren
The McGill Daily (McGill University)