York U student union spends $19,000 to turn ordinary party into par-tay

TORONTO (CUP) — A York University student union-organized party with a $19,000 budget is being criticized as wasteful spending and poor planning amid allegations of malicious intent on the part of the outgoing student council.

The outgoing council says it threw the bash for students Jan. 9, the second last day of councillors’ terms in office, to celebrate the beginning of the winter term and promote school spirit.

The first annual York United Celebration drew a crowd of 454 students, who were entertained throughout the night with an interactive laser light show, while sipping free drinks courtesy of the York Federation of Students.

“We wanted to do something to celebrate second term,” said Paul Cooper, the outgoing student union president, whose last day in office was Jan. 10.

“You don’t need $19,000 to throw a jam,” said Omari Mason, incoming president, who took office Jan. 11.

“This bash is a gross expenditure of student funds with no clear benefits and purely a mechanism to hamstring the incoming council’s abilities financially,” said Randy Orenstein, fine arts councillor, recently re-elected to his second term.

Cooper denied this allegation, calling it a “frivolous claim.”

Nonetheless, students who attended the party had several concerns about the student union motives.

“This event is a complete waste of money; it just shows the lack of integrity and dignity of the outgoing YFS council,” said Jeffrey Zavala, a communication studies student.

Despite many negative reactions, some students enjoyed the party.

“This event is awesome,” said Jeremy Braverman, another communication studies student.

-Amy Chung and Ruby Huang
Excalibur (York University)

GC chair asks for presidential suggestions, adds, “Please not Don Cherry”

On January 6, Rose Patten, Chair of U of T’s presidential search committee, issued a call for nominations for the next president of U of T. The university’s criteria, compiled after consulting with university staff, faculty, and students, include: an outstanding record of teaching, research, and academic leadership, and a demonstrated commitment to students.

Howard Tam, SAC VP of University Affairs, thinks the last quality can’t be stressed enough.

“The university has had a history of presidents who have not given much focus to the students, and it is our hope that the next president will be someone who will.”

Members of the university community are encouraged to make suggestions. However, Patten cautions people to “keep in mind the position specifications when they are reflecting on possible candidates.”
The committee will be working with professional headhunter firm Janet Wright and Associates to actively seek nominations and recruit presidential candidates to replace former president Robert Birgeneau, who left U of T in September. Interim President Frank Iacobucci is serving U of T until June 30th or until a new president is appointed and takes office.

-Josef Szende