Blues volley two to championship

U of T will send two to represent Canada in the North, Central American, and Caribbean Volleyball Confederation Championship August 6-14. Coming off an all-star campaign in his rookie year, student Steven Kung earned a spot on the Canadian Junior Men’s National Team to compete at the championship in Monterrey, Mexico.

He will be joined by his head coach Jeff Chung, who was appointed the role of assistant coach for the Junior Men’s National Team last month. The Canadian squad, in a pool with Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic, will attempt to qualify for the 2007 Junior Men’s World Championships by finishing among the top two at the event.

• Christophe Poirier

Bronze polish reveals star

Five U of T athletes represented Canada at the North American, Central American, and Caribbean under-23 Track and Field Championships on July 11.

Joe Campanelli took home the bronze in the 10,000-metre event with a time of 31:04.62, and was the sole U of T student who recieved a medal in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. While Canada finished with 15 medals, three silvers, and 12 bronze, Campanelli’s perfromance cemented him as one of the top long distance runners in the country.

Other U of T athletes were Megan Brown, who finished fourth in the 1500-metre at 4:24.41, Jason Wurster, who placed fourth in the pole vault at 5.05 metres, and U of T’s male athlete of the year Mark Stewart, who finished fifth in the 110-metre at 14.43. Mark Dillon also competed in the high jump.

• CP