DOs: Why not parody a celebrity in the news? Attend a party as the Federlines! Britney wears a blonde wig and a pillow under a short dress, and for Kevin… just grab the dirtiest clothes you can find. Carrying a plastic baby doll upside down is optional.

If you’re not into celebs, it’s perfectly acceptable to stick to the classics. The National Retail Federation claims that the most popular costume for adults in 2006 will be the witch, followed in second place by the pirate.

DON’Ts: Avoid hanging a leaf off a baseball cap in front of your face and calling yourself a leaf-blower, or strapping a shoe to your head and wearing pink to go out as gum. Alternately, don’t be an autograph book by wearing all white, carrying a marker, and having friends sign you through-out the evening. Don’t tape a loonie to each earlobe, and tell everyone you’re a “buck-an-ear.”

Halloween facts

• Halloween was originally associated with the harvest festival where eggs were considered a symbol of immortality. Throwing eggs at someone actually meant wishing them well.

• In Scotland, “trick or treat” apparently won’t get you very far. Children more commonly call out “the sky is blue, the grass is green, may we have our Halloween?”

• Be thankful if your trees are only filled with toilet paper in the morning. Before indoor plumbing, tipping over or moving outhouses was a popular form of Halloween vandalism.