Student union bans recruiters, accused of shoring up left-wing support.

An already bitter left-right divide simmered as the University of Victoria Student Society announced its decision to ban Armed Forces recruiters from their career day, to be held in January, claiming the Armed Forces commits war crimes that make it unacceptable as an employer of the university’s students.

The left-leaning student union, registered under the Canadian Federation of Students, has recently been at odds with conservative, liberal and even several independent groups since the controversial ousting of a popular UVSS chairperson candidate in last year’s election. Right-leaning campus groups have expressed dissent, claiming that the student union has no business banning recruiters from the fair and that students themselves should decide where they would or would not like to work.

A Facebook group was promptly formed to campaign against the UVSS decision. Several angry students spoke up, condemning the lack of respect for the army, and lauding the opportunities it gave them.

“If nothing else, I would hope this whole debacle would inspire a new wave of political awareness in the student body,” posted Daniel Gray from the U of V. “This can be used as a slingshot to raise voter turnout at the next election and increase the legitimacy and effectiveness of the next UVSS board.” He then invited members of the group to stand as UVSS candidates in the next election.

A coalition of dissenting groups plan on moving to reconsider the decision at the next BoD meeting on Oct. 18.