In Trinity-Spadina, the provincial riding that encompasses most of U of T’s downtown campus, Rosario Marchese of the NDP has won a 41 per cent majority. This riding was one of only five that voted in favour of electoral reform.

The riding of Toronto-Centre, which encompasses St. Michael’s and Victoria Colleges, elected George Smitherman (Liberal). UTM’s Mississauga-Erindale riding voted in favour of the status quo. The riding also elected a Liberal MPP, Harinder Takhar, as did UTSC’s Pickering-Scarborough East riding, who voted Wayne Arthurs into provincial. UTSC’s riding, meanwhile, was also the most vehemently opposed to MMP, with 63.5 per cent of voters choosing against reform. Voter turnout across the province worsened since the last 2003 election, dropping from 56.9 per cent to 52.8. In Trinity-Spadina, however, turnout improved very slightly, from 52 per cent to 52.6.

While there is no objective way to determine if youth voter turnout has increased from last year, polling stations ran out of ballots twice at Ryerson University, a sign young adults are taking an increased interest in politics.

McGuinty’s party won a second consecutive Liberal majority government, a feat last achieved 70 years ago by Mitchell Hepburn. John Tory and Frank De Jong, leaders of the Progressive Conservative and Green parties, respectively, lost their own ridings and currently do not hold a seat in provincial parliament. De Jong, leader of the Ontario Greens since 1993, has never won a parliamentary seat, but Tory’s defeat sent ripples through the PC party and the blue leader has announced that if his party asks him to, he will resign.

Analysts have suggested that Tory’s plan to extend public funding of religious schools, a promise he withdrew when it proved unpopular, may have cost the PC party around three percent of the popular vote.

Though the Greens did not win any ridings, they saw a large popular vote increase, to 8.0 per cent from 2.8 per cent in 2003.

The NDP won three more seats, growing their MPP faction from seven to 10 and increasing their share of the popular vote by about two per cent.

The referendum to switch to a Mixed Member Proportional electoral system failed. Had the referendum won 60 per cent of the popular vote and 64 out of 107 ridings, Ontario would have adopted a new provincial voting system that attempts to balance regional concerns with the popular vote. The MMP referendum achieved only 36.9 per cent of votes and won a majority in only five ridings.

Jen Hassum, chairperson of the Ontario chapter of the Canadian Federation of Students, said that younger voters who overwhelmingly supported the reform were outvoted by the older population.

“Recent polling showed that 67 per cent of voters under the age of 35 supported the new voting system,” said Hassum. “Tonight’s projected defeat of Mixed Member Proportional reinforces a massive generational divide in Ontario,” she announced on election night.

Hassum noted that though Ontario’s tuition fees are among Canada’s highest, provincial funding for postsecondary education is the lowest in the country.

Dr. Peter George, chair of the Council of Ontario Universities and president of McMaster University, echoed Hassum’s remarks. He said he felt lack of public information and awareness on the referendum contributed to the overwhelming support for the existing system.

“I think discussions around referenda of that kind often are quite complex and it’s very difficult to get the real proposed improvements of the new system to the public,” George said. “The default position in such situations is always to vote in favor of the status quo,” he added.

CFS-O, COU, and the Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance have voiced hopes that pressure on the Liberals will force their majority government to take up issues of post-secondary education. OUSA approved of the Liberals’ “great strides” in funding post-secondary education and student aid during their past four-year mandate.

Detailed breakdown of the voter turnout at the different polling stations across campus are expected to be available within a couple of weeks.